New used car decision.........opinions welcome

Gold Member
Username: Tdawg30

Ohio USA

Post Number: 1023
I have a 98 malibu with roughly 90,000 on it and its in pretty good shape. I paid 1500 for it which was a steal since its worth 4k.......(got it from my friends gma for graduation) so one of my lady friends is lookin for a car and said to me......"Trevor, would you sell me your car???? for like 4,000???" and this got me thinkin, ya know I like the car, but it wasnt my top choice, I took it cuz it was so cheap. Now that I can sell it for 4k,

I was lookin into an oldsmobile aurora(98 or so)

they are hella slick cars and I can get one for 4000 or less with approx 97,000 on it. Now what would you do??? I think im gonna get the aurora but idk, the malibu is just a nice car with some work ive put into it, but kinda want to crusie in the black on black aurora.

sorry this is a bit lengthy, but thats the deal.

anyone ever owned an aurora? are they pretty solid cars? parts not too expensive???

Silver Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 210
Looks like a solid car from these owner reviews. If you can step up from the 1.5k that you spent initially and get another car for the 4k she gives you, I say go for it man. GM parts are generally pretty cheap for older cars, there are alot of OEM suppliers.

http://www.carsurvey.org/model_Oldsmobile_Aurora.html

http://www.epinions.com/search/?submitted_form=searchbar&search_string=Oldsmobil e+Aurora&tax_name=Used+Cars&dyn_nav=0&dyn_nav_id=&search_vertical=t199923073&sea rchbar_submit=Search

Gold Member

Ohio USA

Post Number: 1024
sweet man Ive been readin around too. both good cars, but I just like how the aurora looks and its features, and...........the trunk space for subwoofers that go WANG!!!!!!!! WANG WANG WANG!!!!!!!!!!!

Gold Member

Ohio USA

Post Number: 1025
bumpage......anyone else wanna chime in?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 9033
97K is a lot of miles for any american made car! I would be weary buying an american car with that amount of miles unless it is a jeep with a 4.0 liter motor, they run forever. I hate to say it but honda and toyota have it all over the american car market as far as longevity. All american cars are disposable vehicles once hit 100K so that doesnt leave you much head room. Could it go to 130K possibly but not likely without needing tons of work.(tranny,headgasket,timing,waterpump, ect...) BIG JOBS!

Gold Member

Ohio USA

Post Number: 1026
hmmmm, well ive seen lots of them with 170k + but I dont know the work thats been done on them. very nice cars though, and I just dont want to get a god damn japanese car ya know, not as appealing to me.idk ive got some thinking to do and got to talk to my mechanic on how much he would charge me for some of these repairs.(hes a buddy of mine so I got cheap labor fees)

Silver Member
Username: Usask8er1

15 Orion H2 powered by..., 4 15 IDSPL &... 15 INCH WANGERS

Post Number: 604
I worked as a mechanic for over a year and I think it's stupid that you guys call american made cars disposable. I have seen several american made cars go up to nearly 200,000 without major mechanical or body problems. Just to name a few I have seen near 200,000; Taurus, intrepid, 300, le sabre, and my own car. My buick is a 1992 with 180,000+ miles the biggest thing replaced on it was the timing belt because just like on any car, they go bad.

Gold Member

Ohio USA

Post Number: 1028
so Matt...........Ive read reviews on it and some people say a lot has gone wrong and some people havent had anything go wrong, but thats on every kinda car basically, cept like BMW and Mercedes, but even they have their issues sometimes. I am gonna try and get a carfax on some of these and see what all has gone wrong. I dont see it being a major problem, however, I dont want to be spending all my time taking it to my friend to fix ya know.

by the way, does anyone have unlimited carfaxes that wouldnt mind checking some VIN numbers for me????

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 9034
for every 1 you see that goes the distance there are 100 that don't. I have seena few go to 150K+ but it is not a common thing. Most american cars are disposable these days Matt, it isnt very cost effective to make a car that lasts 12 years when they are having trouble selling them as it is. They want to push a new car on people every 7 years or so. at 15K/year that is about 105K so thats about how long most will last without major problems. For every 1 american car that goes to 200K 10 japanese cars will do it. I am not a fan of not buying american either its just that they build a better automobile. now trucks on the other hand are a different story, american is the way to go for heavy work but toyota is nipping on the tails of dodge/ford/and GMC as we speak.

Silver Member
Username: Gavbo211

JL Audio 10w3v2, IL US

Post Number: 301
Just to give my 2 cents, i used to have an aurora, and it was a hella nice car. i loved that thing. to me they just look so slick.. and Ice i know for a fact that black on black would just look totally sick. not to mention, they aren't lacking when it comes to power either. i mean i'm not saying it's a vette, but it's damn fast for how big it is. not to mention, gigantic trunk space.. :-) lol

Silver Member

JL Audio 10w3v2, IL US

Post Number: 302
Oh and just so you know if you don't get a seperate battery for your system the stock battery is under the back seat.

Silver Member
Username: Impala63rag

Post Number: 375
sell your car quick before she changes her mind. Youll be able to find somethin dope for that kinda money. My mom has an arora, and she likes it. You could get a 97 caddilac for that kinda money though. somethin old school, or even a suv.

Silver Member
Username: Pitbullguy

Chicago, Illinois I Eats Beats...

Post Number: 509
jump on the aurora man...one of my friends has a black on black aurora and it looks MEAN!! Big comfy seats, huge trunk, big powerful engine...only other suggestion would be to check out retired police cars...just got rid of my Crown Vic P.I. and i love my new car but i'll always miss it in some ways...very similar to the aurora (big 4-door sedan) but they're much faster.

Gold Member

Ohio USA

Post Number: 1029
gavin, did you have many problems with yours. I agree they look slick as hell and are very well equipped and get good gas mileage for a V8, would you say go for it with the mileage it has?

Gold Member

Ohio USA

Post Number: 1030
they are just so sexy!!!!!!! i will look into the retired police vehicle...........under the backseat ehhhhh for the battery........crazy stuff oh well.im goin for it.

Silver Member

JL Audio 10w3v2, IL US

Post Number: 304
i'd go for it. it should be a worthy investment. not to mention, if it makes you happy, then it's worth every penny. we didn't have many problems with ours, a very well built car in my opinion. only thing, i dunno if you planned on it or not, but you aren't gonna be able to do much urself besides change the oil in this car lol.

Silver Member

Post Number: 376
Your not gonna believe this! My mom came over about 10 minutes after my last post and offered to sell me her 2001 Oldsmobile aurora dirt cheap. Shes gonna let me take over payments. 216 a month for 19 months. I'm gonna do it.

Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 377
I'll take it over on march 1st. I'm gonna trick it out with some tint, and sell my Oldsmobile to buy rims for it. I'm gonna put my system in it too. Probably leave the deck in my Oldsmobile, and buy a 7" touch screen dvd receiver for the new Oldsmobile.

Gold Member

Ohio USA

Post Number: 1032
sweet impala...........how many miles it have on it???? and why is she sellin it to you?

I figured I wouldnt be able to do much besides oil and like filters and stuff since its a northstar V* and kinda crammed in there, but thats what I gots my bud for who is a mechanic, and an excellent one at that!

Well fellers, I will let you all know how this turns out, and once I get it, I will post some pics and info on what I plan to do!

Silver Member

Post Number: 378
112,000 - when she looked up bluebook thats what she put in. She wants a new Nissan altima.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us