Help with Amps and RMS???

Username: Ulshy55

Post Number: 1
Ok, i just bought 2 10 inch MTX subwoofers in a box. It says 400 RMS on it. So how big of an Amp should i buy. I really don't want any chance of blowing these subs, but i do want good output. They are in my trunk. And does the power chord matter? I already have one from a previous amp (500 watts) would this one work with whatever amp you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 2883
what are the voice configuraion on the subs?

ex, single 4 ohm, dual 4 ohm, something like that

Post Number: 4
I'm not sure what the ohm is for the subs. I bought it at a store that was going out of business and alli got were the subs.... I'll check if there is a sticker somewhere, but i don't think there is one. the guy at the store said a 700 or 800 watt amp should do, but i wanted a second opinion, and i really don't want to blow the subs.

Post Number: 5
I found the exact setup i just bought online here.
http://ecoustics.shopping.com/xPO-Road-Thunder-10X2TA-Enclosed-Subwoofer

What amp would you recommend? I did look at MTX amps, but damn they are expensive! I am looking for one that will power the subs for 150 or less. Preferably less. But if that is not possible please recommend another. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Nickb4247

Post Number: 107
That link leads me to believe that the loaded boxes impendence is 4 ohms. If this is true and those subs are SVC like I think, then they are either 2ohm wired in series or 8 ohm wired in parallel. Most likely they are 2 ohm, so you best bet, if it were me, would be to re-wire the subs in parallel for a 1 ohm load if possible. And get a kicker Kx400.1. To be sure, remove one of the subs. Each sub should have ONE(if there are more, then they are dual voice coil) set of hook ups(+,-) on them. On the back of the sub(on the magnet) it should tell what the subs impendence is in ohms. Give us this info to be sure. If they are single 2 ohm, I think the option above is your best best. If they are each single 4 ohm, you would still wire them in parallel. But you would need an amp that puts out around 400 watts @ 2 ohms.

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock2000

Notre dame!USA

Post Number: 228
^ please dont listen to a word he just said..

Get an amp that does 800 by 1 at 1 ohm. if u on a budget look at hifonics on ebay.

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock2000

Notre dame!USA

Post Number: 229
bump

Post Number: 10
Mick, I already have a subwoofer...the link listed above. I don't know much about subs, amps n stuff, so i'm not gonna go for the stuff you described above. Thanks though

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Noterdame... All the amps i have seen are measured at either 2 or 4 ohms...i'm not sure about the one ohm thing

Bronze Member
Username: Moey_g

SydneyAustralia

Post Number: 50
There are 1 ohm stable amps as well

Silver Member
Username: Warlok

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 151
A website says these subs are "4 ohm (Dual Coil)". But more websites say SVC 4 ohm. |Seems to be a semantics issue, they can both mean the same thing. However, this not being a vocaulary game, One site say 200 W Peak and the other 400 Rms. Either way you look at it, its bogus. Most sites say SVC 4 ohm and 400 RMS, so I guess go with that. Means to you, you should go 2 Ohm Bridged. And no offense, only keep in mind what NICK said, not me, cause my name is Nick too, just dont confuse with the other guy, not that he dont mean well, but the advice given to you were based upon assumption that are not the case. Although I give em credit, non of his advice was faulty, just not relavant to your case. Since the are SVC 4 Ohm, you can parallel them for a 2 Ohm load, and get an amp that puts out about 700 - 900 W at 2 ohm mono. Cant really go wrong with that. However, I would do as Nick suggested and have a look for yourself, cause google seemed flaky when it came to gettin info on these puppies. .. .
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us