Peak and rms ratings?

Silver Member
Username: Trey4sports

Post Number: 336
i understand how a subwoofers peak/rms ratings work RMS is the amount of watts that the sub can handle continously, and the peak ratings are what your sub can handle for a short 3 second burst before needing to cool down, but what i dont understand is how the amplifiers peak/rms ratings work? is the rms the watts it will push continually, and peak is the amount of wattage it will provide for a very short time period? if you guys could clear this up for me i would appreciate it

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Nj US

Post Number: 2922
Peaks come and go with the music source. Most of the power coming from an amp, any amp, will go to your lower freq's. If you're pushing a pounding bass song, the amp as well as the sub will work harder/generate heat.

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Nj US

Post Number: 2925
Secondly, amps don't give peak/rms wattage. It is rated by what it is "capable" of. Higher end amps deliver their "claimed" watts, while lower end amps hardly ever see their claimed specs. You should always match your sub's rms power to your amp's output power. Ignore the sub's peak power, that is just thrown in for bragging rights.

Silver Member
Username: Trey4sports

Post Number: 339
well ive got my wmd's and there matched up with my P3000.1 which is 1500 rms and thats the limit they suggested on ROE. but what im concerned about is if i ever burped my system i would want to know how many watts it is giving to my subs
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us