When i get my BL......

Silver Member
Username: Goodie_goop

Midland, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 155
im gettin a p1500.1 to run it but i wus gunna keep it down to 4ohm until i can do some more electrical upgrades (all i will have done is a small drycell battery and big 3)

so does it hurt the sub to be that underpowered? you think it will still have sum bump to it?

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

KY More Wang Th...

Post Number: 3237
no it wont hurt it...and im sure it will still have sum bump to it

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Www.15inchwangers.comFI Audio BTL

Post Number: 9583
what does that amp do at 4ohms?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9584
you do realize that you won't be putting less strain on your alt by running it at half the power at 4ohms rather than full power at 1ohm?

just wire it to 1ohm and keep the gain down.

Silver Member

Midland, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 156
ohhh thanks i didnt know that, ight cool thanks again

Bronze Member
Username: Bjfish11

Garden Plain, KS USA

Post Number: 21
Well, think about this.....
Volts x Amps = Watts

So if you wire the amp to 4 ohms (less wattage produced) you either have to lower amperage or voltage as well. Last time I checked, voltage is pretty constant, therefore you would be reducing amperage. Less amperage draw = better on the electical system.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9592
my bad. i was wrong. fishercustoms.com is right. you should wire it at 4ohms to draw less current.

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

[:-]15 Wangers Club[:-] Premier Member

Post Number: 4831
yea, wire it at 4ohms until you can upgrade some. How big is your alt?

Silver Member
Username: Teddy21

Ann Arbor, MI USA

Post Number: 433
yeah i had the same delima, i got a 97 civic with a stock alternator and i was worried that the amp would suck too much power. I wired my 1200 watt amp to 4 ohm to a RE SX (so about 600w)....

It still got very loud and worked for my when i had that sub.

Silver Member
Username: Tremor1127

Wishes there was an 18...

Post Number: 707
"mitlin texas got mo cop than cit a zin!"

Silver Member

Midland, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 158
haha tremor

its a 130a alt but i got the mach sound system and that has its own amp runnin the speakers so jus to be safe i wus gunna keep it down for a couple months

Silver Member
Username: Tremor1127

Wishes there was an 18...

Post Number: 710
hey, that is some lyrics from a midland local group... forgot their name though...

Silver Member
Username: Tanmanfosho

Fi SSDYeah, Its 15...

Post Number: 570
yo

Silver Member
Username: Fi_car_audio

Hades, NV

Post Number: 101
Ok... there isnt much of a difference between running it at 4 Ohms with 600W (or whatever it might be at max into 4 Ohms) or running it at 1 Ohm and only turning it up to 600W (or whatever would be equivalent). But at 4 Ohms you cant turn it up for a couple second blast to enjoy things (nor do you have ANY headroom)... like you can if it was wired to 1 Ohm. Id figure that you would have more of a tendancy to run the amp into clipping harder at 4 Ohms trying to get a little more out of it that you would at 1 Ohms and it cruising along with plenty of headroom.

I say wire it to 1 Ohm and then just dont turn it to 11 (out of 10). Watch the voltage if you can and keep the volume lower for now. Will 600 W of clipped power piss off the BL? I doubt it, but the amp might not like it.

The issue you will have is long term voltage. Short term it wont be much of an issue to make short high power blasts for fun and lower powered listening sessions. But... if you want to push things harder, you will run out of reserve on the batteries since your alt wont be able to keep up... eventually you will have major voltage sag... and probably faster than not.

I think you are confusing two separate things. If the amp is making 600 W at 4 Ohms or 1 Ohm it doesnt matter (if we are assuming that the amp is 100% efficient across its impedance range/design). The amp will draw 50 Amps at 12 V to equal 600W of power.
BUT... the voltage and current change in the amp from DC to AC is different. 600W at 4 Ohms is equivalent to 49V and 12.25 amps. 600W at 1 Ohm is equal to 24.5 V and 24.5 Amps...
The power required to for the amp to make 600W is the same... but the voltages and currents that it converts them to for the given load are different. All you should be concerned about is what the amp is drawing from your electrical system... and not mix the two.

2 cents ;)

Silver Member

Midland, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 167
alright, i guess i will wire it to 1ohm and just keep the gain down for awhile (well most of the time:-)) thanks for all the input guys i really apreciate

Gold Member

Post Number: 9611
damn i should of stayed with my first answer. lol.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us