Dumb Question...

Silver Member
Username: Mgbcs

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 139
When it comes to amplifiers, what setting is it that determines the amount of power it is pumping out? Obviously there is generally a gain, bass boost, and some sort of crossover. Say your subs can handle 1000watts and your amp is 1500watts, what is it that you adjust for that?

Silver Member
Username: Bump05

We Stay Fly, 18 SX USA

Post Number: 796
there is no adjust, its ohms if ur sub is dual 2 it can hook up to either 1 ohm or 4 ohm and ur amp will either have a .5 1 4 ohm load on it making different ratings of rms that amp has lets say ur amp is 1500rms@ 1 ohm u wire ur sub down to 1 ohm and hook it up to the amp pushing 1500rms or if u wanna hook up sub up to 4 ohm it will push lower on the amp...tell u waht
give me the amp ratings like 1500rms @ 2ohm and ur subs voice coil is it dual or single let me know and ill help u out

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 3293
Yup, the only way you can ajust the amps power, is by the ohms.

Silver Member
Username: Mgbcs

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 140
I appreciate the offer, but there is nothing specific for me to give you. I am fairly comfortable using Rockfords wiring wizzard or any other site like that. I was more just looking for a general answer, cuz I didn't know if any settings controlled the power. I currently have a mono Kenwood amp pushing out 850RMS @ 2 ohms to an 12" L7.

I guess a question I would have though is, with the gain, why does it get louder as you set the gain lower (I think, it may have been higher-haven't messed with it for a while)? It gets really loud, but almost immediatly blows the fuses on the amp. I now know I need to use a meter to get it right, but earlier this year I was unaware of this. So whats the deal with the gain?

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3594
you guys, gain controls the output of the amplifier as well. if you have a 2000w amplifier you could only turn the gain up enough for it to put out 1000w if you wanted. but there isnt like a mark that says turn to here for 1000w lol.

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock2000

Mtx all da way!, Mi USA

Post Number: 162
no.. the gain is used to match the hu's pre out voltage..

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3598
you dont understnd. heres a link to help you understand how it works. http://www.bcae1.com/gaincon2.htm
read it all. the first half you'll probably be like thats exactly what i was saying. but the second half shows you how it works.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us