Help! Factory Nav error screen!

Username: Strapped4cash

Post Number: 1
HELP!

My wife turned on her car several weeks ago and this screen appeared instead of her navigation system.

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/9201/toyota2005avalonnavigatzq1.jpg

She has a 2005 Avalon Limited. After getting conflicting answers from our dealership and Toyota corporate, the answer I was given was this as relayed from Denso (who OEMs it to Toyota):

The only way for this to appear is through a hidden service menu and the instructions are posted on the internet. Thus, they will not fix it and I can replace the NAV ECU for $2500!

I couldn't believe that Toyota would be strong armed by an OEM supplier like this and not stand behind their warranty.

To me it looks like a PC that doesn't have windows loaded. i.e. I need the navigation operating system re-loaded. I suspect there is a factory program disc that is used when the car is manufactured and it can be re-loaded. The dealer tried a different map DVD and I tried the one from my Solara NAV system.

For reference, the Avalon NAV is NOT a touch screen as it uses physical control buttons located below the radio. The NAV ECU is located in the trunk on the left side. The dealer also told me that this is a 3rd generation system and can not be reset. I have tried disconnecting all the cables to the ECU and leaving them removed for several hours with no luck.

I would be eternally grateful to anyone that could help me out with this problem.

Thanks in advance.

David
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us