THD and hearing to the human ear.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1051
I have heard alot about earthquake and the high thd, and just yesterday i seen sombody make a post saying "A human ear cant even notice and THD unless it is greater then 10%" if this is true then why do people say earthquake has a high THD if you cant even notice it... im not sure if what he said was true just yet because i can deffinetly tell a SQ difference from running at a higher ohm load, less THD and equal power. What is the noticable THD % to the human ear... dont laugh at this either... would a THD of i think .05% or 5%.. not sure big difference prolly but ya... would that make any contribution to the bass being more punchy(low THD) or more muddy (high THD)..or is that all in my head

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5831
Anything over 10% THD, you will notice it in a car. If you have really good hearing, THD of 1% - 5%, in a very quiet car, you might notice it. THD below 1%, can only be detected by measuring equipments.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1055
I just double check its rated at <.05% @2ohm so then why do people claim Earthquake as only being good for SPL, if it is so low you cant even notice it, all i hear when i mention earthquake is HIGH THD, Strictly SPL. Im not trying to get a SQ setup out of it but the amp should easily do a SQL setup then, considering proper subs,power, and clean signal to the amps. What is it im missing, the damping factor? does that really matter either? i feel like such a nub asking this lmao

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 3926
damping factor should be higher than 200

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1135
there's a sound file on bcae1.com on the THD page.
even using tones our ears are most sensitive to and using headphones it's basically impossible to hear 2% thd - even knowing it's there.
5% is audible, but not by much.

When you factor in road noise, and music vs tones there's no way the average listener can differentiate 0 vs 5%.

Bronze Member
Username: Nickb4247

Post Number: 21
But, does that distortion make a difference in SPL scores?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5833
SPL is mostly about noise, not music. Do check out bcae1's website. Plenty of good info.
Damping factor above 50 is good enough. Again, you wouldn't be able to tell any difference by ear.
Of course, if money is no object, then look for THD below .01, Damping factor >1000, slew rate >28uv, frequency range 10hz - 50Khz, and US made. That basically describes Zapco's C2K amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us