Replacing Factory Speakers - Suggestions

Username: Chanjackson

Post Number: 2
I don't know much abt audio speakers. i would like to upgrade my radio and speakers that came in my 1998 isuzu rodeo. currently, it has stock radio with casset player, in-dash 6 disc changer that is crap, and standard speakers. I would like to replace all and have a budget of $400...any suggestions? thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock2000

FI SSD 12 , MI USA

Post Number: 125
Well.. i dont know to much about coaxes or comps but I know that ur first step is to get a new stereo aka head unit because youll want to play cd's:-) and this will make your speakers ound cleaner and louder. Look for 1 on ebay (the cheapest way) and then when you see one you like come back here and ask what peeps think of it. some good brands to look for are pioneer, premier, sony(some may disagree), clarion, and alpine.

Post Number: 3
thanks the_kid! btw...i forgot to mention that my speakers in the rear are busted...they can't withstand ANY bass!

Silver Member
Username: Dkchillin

Vermont

Post Number: 369
Ok, well first thing, as has already been mentioned you'll definately want a new deck first. Look at spending somewhere between $200 and $250 but keep in mind that you'll also need a vehicle specific harness and install (dash) kit which will run you anywhere from $20-$50. For your speakers, from what I could find online it looks like you've got 5.25s in the front and maybe roof mounted 4s in the back? Does that sound right? If so you'll want to look for the same size speakers for replacements and that comes down to what sounds bst to you so try and get out and listen to as many as you can. Some mainstream options to think about would be Polk, Alpine, and Infinity but there are all sorts of other options out there. If your rear speakers are indeed 4s and can't handle any bass (like you said)you may want to look into not replacing the rear speakers at all, spending the money on the fronts, which I think are far more important anyway(maybe even look into putting in 6.5s instead of 5.25 for a bit more low end) and saving up for a sub and amp. Just my thoughts though.

Post Number: 4
i appreciate your reply. Do the numbers 5.25s, 4s, and 6.5s refer to the size of the speaker? Is so, to get my speakers measurements, do I measure the diameter of the speaker?? Your suggestion on going with 6.5s instead of 5.25s would require a bigger whole in my door panel, correct? Lastly, is a sub a stand alone unit that provides the bass? I like the thump but can't give up that much room in back of my car.

Silver Member
Username: Dkchillin

Vermont

Post Number: 373
Yes, the numbers are the diamater of the speakers. If you have the owners manual, or can get one or fine one online it should have your speaker sizes, plus there are all sorts of websites with information. I found your speaker sizes on the12volt.com and the actual page for your vehicle is here.

The 6.5s MAY require that a bigger whole be cut but you may actually have the space already depending on how the factory speakers are installed. If you would need to cut a bigger hole then it would obviously be easier to go with the 5.25 inch speakers.

I always suggest that people try and find a message board specific to their vehicle that will probably have a lot more detailed information. You may want to try one of these:
Automotiveforums.com - Rodeo
Planetisuzoo.com
Isuzuforums.com
Topix.com - Rodeo news

In terms of a sub and amp setup, yes, it would require installing a stand alone subwoofer and amplifier to power it, for instance this is my sub and amp. They really don't take up that much room but if you really can't afford to spare the trunk space then you may in fact need to replace the rear speakers in order to get a more full sound, which is still going to be quite lacking on the low end. A pair of 5.25s and a pair of 4 inch coaxials aren't going to provide much bass at all.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us