What type of Amp for a 3-sub setup???

Username: Kholla

Post Number: 7
Hey ya'll,
I have a '95 C280, and it comes with connections four rear speakers (8speakers in all w/ 2 in rear doors). Right now, I only have two Kenwood (240max/40rms 5.25") speakers in the rear and two Kenwoods in the front. I also have a cheap no name 1000watt (so it says) 12" sub in the trunk. It sounds very, very good. I came up with the idea of putting in two 5.25" subs in the other two spaces for the rear speakers. The only subs that small I can find are two Pyramid 200watt/100rms subs. If I install those two small subs, and keep my one 12" in the trunk, what's the best type of amp to connect to them? I was thinking a 4-channel and connect the 12" to two channels (is this bridging??), and split the other two channels to the smaller subs. I also heard mono-amps are better, so is it possible to connect the 12" sub to one channel, and connect the smaller subs to the other channel in a mono amp? is that even possible? Is this idea just stupid? Im planning on connecting the current (cheap Jensen) 4-channel amp, thats connected to my 12" sub, to my interior speakers. The car came with a Bose system, which I had to remove the speakers and re-wire when I put in a new HU. Also, will it be a better idea to put the small subs in the rear doors rather than the rear?? Thanks, Kris

Username: Kholla

Post Number: 8
Does mono amps come with 2 channels?

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 3457
mono amp means just that mono or 1. as ar as your speakers you can run 4 speakers to 2 channels and bridge the other 2 channels for the sub as long as the subs is a single 4 ohm or dual 2 ohm speaker.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 1035
the reason you cant find 5.25" subs is because they arent subs, those are your midrange speakers. Look for a 5.25" component set or somthing. DO NOT BUY PYRAMID. it is one of the cheapest brands there is, as in cheap meaning GARBAGE, just a complete waste of money. If you want a nice set that doesnt cost to much id look into A\D\S cs346 its like 150$ for the set on ebay, good quality for the price. There are lots of ways to wire speakers or subs to an amp. It's not really about the amount of speakers just the ohm load the amp will be seeing and if the amp has enough power to give to all the speakers. Your best bet would be using a MONO(class d amp) on your SUB(s) and a 4ch amp(class a\b amp) on the interior door speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us