How Many?

Gold Member
Username: Crayola0

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1606
How many watts can be ran of a 117 amp alternator?

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 2475
i would say about 1500. probably not much more...probably less.

this has a formula to figure it out i think
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/charging.html

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1396
117 is the total amount of amperes that it puts out. You need to subtract the amount of amperes that your car requires to operate from this 117 amperes number. The left over amperes is what you should use to figure out how much wattage you can run. Dont forget to leave 10 amperes left over for buffer room.

Whatever the leftover number of amperes is, multiply it by either 1.2 for class a/b amps and 1.4 for class d amps. Then multiply that number by 12 (volts). That is the amount of wattage that you can safely run using the 117 amperes alternator.

I highly doubt that you can run 1500 watts of extra power using this 117 amperes alternator and still use your cars requirements as well.

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 2486
really? cause i thuoght someon on here was running 1500 on a 105A alt...maybe i made that up...but take mixeffects word for it, hes a lot more knowledgable than me.

Bronze Member
Username: Mgbcs

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 67
Sorry to piggyback off this thread, but I have a 130 amp alternator. Would I be safe running two Kenwood KAC-9102D amps or is that pushing it too much? Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1397
Lets say that your car may require 100 amperes to operate.

You now have 17 amperes left over. Now subtract 10 amperes for buffer room. You are left with 7 amperes for your amplifier.

For a class a/b amp multiply 7 X 1.2 = 8.4 amperes. Now multiply 8.4 X 12 (volts) = 100.8 watts. You can safely run a 100 watt RMS amp off of that 117 amperes stock alternator. :-)

Or,

For a class d amp multiply 7 X 1.4 = 9.8 amperes. Now multiply 9.8 X 12 (volts) = 117.6 watts. You can safely run a 117 watt RMS amp off of that 117 amperes stock alternator. :-)

These calculations are correct if your cars requirements are 100 amperes. Just replace the 100 amperes I used as an example and put in your actual number and see what you really got.

Gold Member
Username: Crayola0

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1607
can someone tell me how many amps required to operate cause i cant seem to find them
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us