Blown Sub?

Bronze Member
Username: Mgbcs

Post Number: 59
OK...about a week ago I posted that USPS damaged a pair of subwoofers that I sent to California (Rockford P3 12s). They were in perfect working order and then arrived broken. Anyway, the guy is now accusing me of sending him a blown woofer, and that there is no way for the sub to get damaged like this in shipping. He sent me pictures that show the cone being detached from the bottom magnet (I think that's how I can describe it). He says "any idiot can see that this is blown." I obviously know the woofer was not blown when shipped, but I just need to know what a blown sub looks like so I can dispute his claims (he made a claim with paypal even though I purchased insurance on the package-he doesn't want to wait for that). Don't blown woofer freeze up? What are the characteristics? Thanks for all the help.

Bronze Member
Username: Rosrock2000

FI SSD 12 , MI USA

Post Number: 75
put a dmm to voice coils.. makes scRatcing sound when pushed into it..

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2793
you cant look at a sub and be like, yup its blown. unless it was seriously over powered and a hole burnt threw the cone.

basically the best way to test it is to check the resistance of each voice coil

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
I know the thing is not "blown" but it is broken. The cone is completely detached from the magnet of the sub. I trust all of you completly, but is there an "expert" that I could get to tell me the same thing in case the dumb azzes at paypal decide I sent it "blown."

Bronze Member

FI SSD 12 , MI USA

Post Number: 76
not lookin good fo you; the guy must be a dic

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2794
yeah just tell them that when usps dropped the package the motor must have shifted

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 2657
^^ .. also include that the package was insured and he can get the insurance money so there is no point in a dispute because he just don't want to wait for the money.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
Yeah, the guy is a dic k...I have been telling him the whole time that I will do the insurance, but he keeps demanding his money NOW. I am not going to pay him out of pocket though. Well, thanks for the advice. I guess we'll just see where it goes from here. From my experience, paypal tends to side with the purchaser, so I'm not too happy.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1728
Not so, I got burnt on a doa amp. Paypal sided with the seller.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
ok...sorry. I didn't mean to sound ignorant. My experience has just been different I guess.

One other question. I have seen a couple subs that seem to have frozen solid. Not literally of coarse, but the cone simply doesn't move any more. What is that and what causes it?

Bronze Member

FI SSD 12 , MI USA

Post Number: 98
its not broken in yet.. it will move once it has been used more

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
Really? These are both subs that have been used in the past and then sat around for a while. When I say they are frozen, I mean FROZEN. They will not move.

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1393
Dont put them in the freezer anymore.:-)

Bronze Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 65
lol I'll try to remember that really though, anyone know what the deal is?

Silver Member
Username: Usask8er1

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 561
how long have that sat around? also was it in a humid place? Now im not an expert but maybe the voicecoils had some corrosion and locked up. Stupid guess but it could be the answer.

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 714
Let's all give a sub 100 centillion (real number, same as 10^302 I think) watts and see if the cone moves then huh? If it doesn't I guess it really is EXTREMELY frozen!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us