Weird radio reception problem? - Alpine CDA 7844

Username: Blownb310

Albany, NY

Post Number: 1
I have an Alpine CDA 7844 am/fm cd player head unit that worked perfectly in my last car. I switched it to my next car [same model same year]and now it doesn't get any radio stations at all. The display doesn't say what station it is on and when I turn it on all I get is the audio from a tv station.

Here's where it gets weird. When I drive the car about and hour away from home, everything works normally. When I get back near my hometown, [Albany, NY] it fades out and stops getting reception again. I replaced the antenna on the fender and there was no change at all. How can this be?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4836
When you reinstalled it, did any screws go down into the chassis of the unit further than they should have? Sometimes you can end up grounding the tuner and subsequently fry it.

How old is it, by the way?

Albany, NY

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the reply Jexx. No I didn't use any screws that were too long to secure the unit. I am an auto technician and have installed many audio units, but I have never seen anything like this.

I think the unit is 3 years old.

Mike

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1391
"The display doesn't say what station it is on and when I turn it on all I get is the audio from a tv station. "

Does the CD player work?
Does the CD display work?
Does the Menu display work?

"When I drive the car about and hour away from home, everything works normally. When I get back near my hometown, [Albany, NY] it fades out and stops getting reception again."

It sounds as if there may be something going on in the menu settings. Some HU's feature settings for other auxillaries. Yours may have them. See if there is a system reset button behind the faceplate, and/or in the Menu somewhere.

You may also check to see if there is an antannae ground loop. Check your ground. Make sure it is not interfering with any other circuits. Ideally it should be less than 18" long, and must have a strong connection.

Albany, NY

Post Number: 3
Does the CD player work?
Does the CD display work?
Does the Menu display work?

***** Thank you, Yes, Yes, and Yes.

I did push the system reset button behind the faceplate. I held it down for about 5 seconds because I thought maybe I am supposed to hear an audible beep or something to confirm the reset. I didn't hear or see anything, and it didn't change anything as far as the problem I am having. I tried it with the key on and off as well.

You may also check to see if there is an antannae ground loop. Check your ground. Make sure it is not interfering with any other circuits. Ideally it should be less than 18" long, and must have a strong connection.

Thanks, I do have an external ground from the unit to a good dashboard frame ground. I also removed the inner fenderwell to access and check the factory antenna mounting and ground. All is in order. I also reinstalled the factory audio unit and it works perfectly with the same antenna.

To elaborate a bit more, the problem I am having [which is all of the time that I am in my home area] is that the display for the station is blank and the radio doesn't function. At that time the menu doesn't function either and any button pushed on the faceplate has no effect at all. It's just stuck on a local tv station when I'm in my own area. The volume does work though. As I drive approxiamately 30 minutes from home the display lights and the radio starts functioning but reception is a bit weak. An hour from home it works perfectly. Very weird.

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1392
Drive to where you get good signal and reception and start to troubleshoot it there, lol :-)

Sounds as if the settings may be the next step after you go to a good signal area and all your display and menus come on.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us