A Real WINNER! HOW COULD I BE SO DUMB

Silver Member
Username: Afroopuff

Post Number: 362
Alright, so I drive a 1999 Mercury Sable. The beast has a trunk big enough to fit anyhing in the world.....or so I though. I measured the size of the trunk on how i could fit my box. 17x36x15. Perfect. Built the box, everything was great. I never thought how to get the box into the trunk though. I drive a sedan, so the box has to be angled in to the trunk. The size of the box fits fine IN the trunk, but getting it in there isnt so beautiful. Unfortunatly, nothing works so im screwed. All that building. My first system, my first install. What do i do? Build the box too big to get into the trunk. IDIOT! Im very happy with the size of the box though, so im going to rebuild the bad boy next week when i get the wood, and assemble it INSIDE the monstrous trunk. I'm furious right now, but I am a little happy that tomarrow i can at least listen to the first box, by having it inside the back seet.

Anyone else ever been so dumb?

Silver Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 876
Did you try removing the rear seat and then setting it in the trunk?That's what I would try.

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Nj US

Post Number: 2716
Hey, I've heard of ppl building boats in their basement. Can you remove your rear seats?

Silver Member

Post Number: 363
I dont know how, and I am very unexperienced. I'm going to call my neighbor who is a mechanic, but I doubt there is anything he can do. there is a little part of the car, that holds what was the rear speakers and what not, that sort of hangs low. I was planning on putting the box in the other way so that it would lean up against this. I am not sure.

Now I am thinking I am going to need to shrink the box a little, because assembling inside the trunk wont be possible because I can not fit the screw driver in there. Im fumming right now....but seriously, who would have thought....fits in the trunk with PLENTY of extra space, why wouldnt the damn thing just go in the hole....AHHHhh!! :-)

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 2621
you always measure the trunk entrance.. what does it matter how big of a box you can fit inside it.. if it won't fit through the entrance.

my next box has to be installed by removing the seats and sliding it in.. how far off is the box from fitting?

can you fit it in anyway? then just rotate it once it is inside the trunk?

Silver Member
Username: Zoomiebird

Gville, FL

Post Number: 282
dude work your angles! the seat should be easy to remove. ive done it in my honda many a time. its a 99 as well and trunk access was rather popular at that point. chill out till you get someone to look into the seat removal. get some sleep and work on it tomorrow. peace.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 2622
my rear seat comes out by prying two clips upward.. very simple :-)

if you only lack 3/4 of a inch to drop the box in you could remove the too and then put it back on after the box was in

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

New sub : 1 ...

Post Number: 10397
lets see some pix so we all can get a better idea of what ur saying .......

Silver Member

Post Number: 364
ahhh.Rovin its pitch black now, but tomarrow i shall show the horrific event....and my horrified face

Silver Member
Username: Homegrowncam

Funky Town, TX United States

Post Number: 375
Yeah pull of the back of the seat. i know on mine there is metal bakcing that just unscrews. at most a couple of clips and maybe 5-10 screws.

Silver Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 906
just buy an SUV... haha

Silver Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 988
LOVE THE SUVS!!!!!!! :-D no problem at all except lifting the box by yourself :-\ expeccialy when ur dumb enough to put the subs in the box before putting the box in the suv.... ooops

Silver Member
Username: Impala63rag

Post Number: 313
If the braces have to be cut, A muffler shop is your best bet. They sawzaw, and weld all day. You could probably get the braces cut and welded back for $40.

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2342
I just removed my back seat cut 3/4 of the metal out from behind it and will rebuild the back deck out of MDF! The only thing that cannot be removed is the strut towers, lol. Where there is a will, there is a way! Polo.. :-O

Bronze Member
Username: Korpseofdeath

San Lorenzo, California United States

Post Number: 48
I did!! In my 1990 FORD THUNDERBIRD, and that is why i'm selling my 15" RE SX right now... That bad ol' boy didn't fit, and I was so hyped up to get it.. So now I have a perfect box and sub for no use.

Silver Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 156
I used to own a 92 Sable (P.O.S.) and it is pretty much the same as this, huge trunk, but it doesn't go down that much at all in the back like some trunks do, so you are left with angling the box down into the slot if you try to get it in that way. The actual opening is really small if you measure it.
But Polo and others are exactly right, yank out the back seat and cut the metal with a sawzall or whatever so it will fit through barely, and then slam a piece of mdf or thick plywood on there and seal the f!cker off. And put like 3 layers of eDead in there, Ford loves thin sheet metal and dodgy welds.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us