Big 3 upgrade?

Bronze Member
Username: Iwrk4satan

Post Number: 52
I'm currently running a JL 500/1 and a JL 300/4 with a 180 amp HO alt, my Big 3 are wired with 4 gauge wire, and I'm still experiencing some light dimming when I really turn my system up. I need some advice on what to do to fix my problem.

Basically, the reason I only have 4 gauge wire is because I got my big 3 replaced when I went and got SIRIUS radio installed. The guy that did the install said he'd upgrade the wires for free. I asked for 1/0 wire, but the shop ended up doing the upgrade for free with "wire they had laying around". Is upgrading to 1/0 likely to fix my light dimming problem?

I think now that I see where the 4 gauge wire was run, I could definitely do this install myself, I just need to know exactly what to buy. Could someone point me to a link for a good kit to buy?

Also I'm interested in getting a yellow top battery. My HO alt doesn't seem to really kick in until 1000 RPMs, and my car idles slightly lower than this. So I can't really play the system loud while idling for too long. Should I get a yellowtop for under the hood, or just a separate battery for in the trunk? Any help/recommendations would be a great help. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Tdawg30

Ohio USA

Post Number: 862
I would think with just 850 watts or so that those amps are putting out would be fine with 4 ga, but if you upgraded ur battery first I think that might solve the problem, buy the battery and see what it does, if it still dims get the wire.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us