JL Audio

Bronze Member
Username: Mgbcs

Post Number: 40
I appologize for the hypothetical question, but I am looking into a new setup for this summer after I can pay off this semester's tuition. I may have enough money to get a new car and would like to get a Grand Cherokee. So, if I were to get that car, would you suggest doing one 12W6V2 or two 12W3V3? Either would be plenty loud for me, so I would prefer SQ over pure volume. Also, again preferring SQ of SPL, would I do a sealed or ported box? Thanks for all the info!

Silver Member
Username: Gh0st_31

FL USA

Post Number: 150
w6v2 is a great sq woofer. I personally havent heard a w3v3 but you would be satisfied with either, but the w6v2 moreso. And for nice sq, build a sealed box and pack it with some polyfill. For the price of JL there are also many other great woofers, so take a look around before you make a decision.

Silver Member
Username: Trey4sports

Post Number: 265
yeah, good suggestion SGdenny. but if i say so myself i love ported in general mainly becauase i like rap, you cant go wrong if you port at 28 hz or so and slap a dub 6 in there it will sound quite nice and it should do better on the low end(ported) since the w6 isnt that great on the lows in general

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
If it makes a difference, I prefer rock (mostly hard like Korn) but end up listening to rap if I want bass because the L7 doesn't keep up with the bass guitars.

Anyway...So what else could I get in the $350 range like the W6 that may be better?

Silver Member

Post Number: 268
well for rock i would suggest sealed, and the W6 would be an excellent choice i have heard both woofers side by side. i personally like the W7 jsut a bit more but the W6 would probably suite your listening better than a dub7

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Not to mention the W7 is significantly more $$$. Any other subs to investigate that would have great SQ, decent SPL and sound good in a sealed box?

Silver Member

Post Number: 270
well if your comfortable wiring yourself then i have a wide range of subs to check out, if your wanting a nice sub around 250 or so get an Fi Q. they are excellent sealed performers, hands down louder and similar SQ to the W6 for less money. you can also run them with a good 1000 rms and be fine with stock electrical system. if your willin to spend around 450 get a stereo integrity mag. prolly one of the top sealed subs around, unbeatable SQ.

just google stereo integrity for their website and fi's website is ficaraudio.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
I would probably prefer to stay cheaper than 450. Right now, I have a Kenwood amp pushing 850RMS at 2ohms, so would that be sufficient for an Fi Q? I have no problem wiring or building boxes so anything goes!

Silver Member

Post Number: 273
yea it would be fine really, on fi's website you can order your sub either dual 2 ohm or dual 1 ohm, and the q's are rate at 1000 rms but can take upto 1500 daily but thats pushing it. at 850 tho, output should be very good and you have room to upgrade if you ever need to. but i def think the Q would be a good match for you. if you even want to go cheaper get a FI SSD, there a series beneath the Q. however it is important you order it with the copper coil because that greatly improves the SQ and it doesnt list any parameters for a sealed box but just use the parameters given for the Q if builing a box for the SSD (with copper coil option)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
OK thanks!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
I like the suggestion about the Fi Q. How will it compare in SPL to my sealed L7 12"? I know it will sound better, but I still want it to have decent volume. Thanks again!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
Bump!

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Fi Audio BTL

Post Number: 9119
fi q or treo ssi is also another good alternative to the 12w6.

the q will get loud. in the right enclosure you can make it louder cause you will be able to feed it more power than the L7.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
OK...I think I would do a sealed and the amp I have now is 850RMS at 2 ohms. Sufficient? Or is a new amp in order as well?

Gold Member

Fi Audio BTL

Post Number: 9120
that amp will be just fine for the q.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
Awesome. The price difference from the 10 to 12 to 15 is next to nothing. Are there any major advantages to one or the other? I listen to mostly rock, but decent amount of rap as well. Thanks

Gold Member

Fi Audio BTL

Post Number: 9121
get the 15. the 15s will keep up with anything.

the 15 will also hit deeper and louder so i don't see any point in getting anything smaller unless you have space issues.

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 11050
^^X2

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
Well, right now I would have trouble in the back of a Sable, but if all goes right this summer I will have some sort of SUV, preferably a Grand Cherokee, and have plenty of room. For the Fi Q 15" then, go with the recommended 2-2.6 cu ft? Also, shoud I throw in a bunch of Polyfil? If so, how much? Thanks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 279
well since your into more rock i would stay at 2.0 or so, (stay on the lower side of the recommended box sizes) because the size of the box affects the frequency response i dont think polyfill is neccesary, only use it if your box is smaller than it should be adleast thats what ive been told.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
OK...sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to figure everything out In an SUV, is it best to have the woofer facing towards the back like the trunk of a car? Or should it face the ceiling?

And (for one sub) as far as the voice coil config. I would want the dual 1 ohm if I want to wire to 2 ohms right? Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Razzeldazzel06

Post Number: 26
how about 1 12 inch Image dynamic id max..i believe they are about the same price as the 12w6..they are built better and have better sq. they also have very nice bump too.. does anyone dissagree with me??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
actually the id max is cheaper and better.a lot better

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
So would it be better to get the ID max or a 15" Fi Q?

Silver Member

Post Number: 283
Q all day long, and face the ceiling it allows the soundwave to elongate. Q is cheaper and better than an IDmax but the IDmax has more SQ. overall i still go with Q

Silver Member
Username: Usask8er1

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 553
FI Q, nothing against ID (my comp car is made up of 4 15" IDSPL) but they haven't made good subs in years. By the way you can't just order a new IDMAX they dont sell them you have to win one on ebay.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
OK...sounds good. So I'd buy a 15" Fi Q with dual 1ohm coils in order to wire it to 2 ohms right?

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 2900
yep.

Silver Member

Post Number: 286
tune low for better SQ as well

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
There's no tuning involved if I do a sealed box though is there? I thought that would be the box to build for SQ???

Silver Member

Post Number: 292
nope, sealed would be fine and yield better sq i just dont personnaly like the flat frequency response of sealed

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
OK...I would consider doing a ported box, as that seems to be the fesounding favorite among everyone here. However, I would need a lot of help in making plans/tuning. I would have no problem building, but planning is another story! Would I lose a lot of SQ? Or just a little and add SPL?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
i bought a brand new 12 inch id max from the store..so that kid doesnt know anything lol..and the id max is one of the best subs you can buy especially for sq.it is rated 1000 rms also and even when u lower the rms to lik 500 to 650 so the sound doesnt make your head explode its still beautiful..it picks up every note and wave perfect..there are hardly any comparisons tot he id max and if it is its a lot more money..so id max all the way

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
Where might I go around looking for them? It would be nice to be able to compare that to the Q, but I don't know of anywhere they are sold. I live in Minneapolis, MN, but am at college in Lincoln, NE.

Silver Member
Username: Lil_jon

Post Number: 376
w7 allll the way forget the off brand companys

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
w7 conmpletely overated lol..i went to a store who is a licensed jl audio seller..thy even said w7s are crap and over rated..if you go jl go w6..but why go a w6 if you can go image dynamic idmax..theyhave better sq and have more bump..and cheaper lol..its the way to go..id max are on a whole different level then jl's and that Q thing..neevr even heard of the Q lol..cant be any good..go wiht more familiar products that you know..go to the best car audio place you no and ask to hear some of their top of hte line woofers....then just pick one lol..easy as piee!!! w.e that means

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
i suggest..get 1 12 inch image dynamic id max..or get 1 12 inch w6.those are the bet two subs.the difference is the id max has better sound quality and more bump then the w6 and its a lil bit cheaper..so if i were you go wit the image but the jl is the closest thing to it if you cant find an id max

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
I will check it out. From the sounds of it everyone loves the Fi Q though!
"...if your wanting a nice sub around 250 or so get an Fi Q. they are excellent sealed performers, hands down louder and similar SQ to the W6 for less money."

Silver Member

Post Number: 293
forget that comment about the Q not being on the level of the ID max, Fi is one the most highly sought after brands in car audio ask any of the gurus on this board...also Fi is only an internet dealer you only get their products form their website, and they do warranty all products

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
exactly you have to buy the products off line...thats bull crap...those speakers must be crap cause if they were so good stores would sell them..lik jl audio huge top of the line brand name only allow a few stores to sell new authentic products..when you order something formt he internet you have to really no what you want..plus installation will be mroe money and most of the time its used or htey wil come to you messed up from being banged around int he box...internet sales for subs and other car products is bull...dont get sucked into that..you want a sub thats good..go to a store where stuff is sold and test stuff out..dont go by what these poeple tell you what sounds good..you go by yourself and listsen to all different kinds of subs and you pick which one you like...other peoples views differ from yours..you need to have first hand experiences.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
i would say since you know for a fact jl is a top of the line product..and it really is believe me the w6 sound beautiful..isuggest you just get 1 12 w6 over the 2 w3's and get a 500/1 amp plus cables and your all set its beatiful sq and nice spl..or get 1 12 id max with a memphis 1100d amp..those two systems are perfect you cant do any better unless you want to spend less money but if your want the best system that has great sq and decent spl those two are the way to go..go test those subs out somewhere you will be more than satisfied

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 2910
that's bullsh_t!^^ fi is not a crap brand and if you never heard them then don't comment on them. selling direct from manufacturer saves you alot of money cause it cuts out dealer mark ups. please do not post anymore stupid comments like that if you don't know what you are talking about.

and yes i have heard both the idmax and the q, and as i think both subs are great sounding subs i would take the q over the idmax for the simple fact that it costs just a little more than half of what the idmax costs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 298
the "internet" brands you are reffering to? hands down RE and DD are the top car audio brands and their both online sales. ask anybody in the competitive car audio world, whether it be SQ or SPL, Jl is by no means top of the line thats why it has very little competition recognition, a good brand but its geared toward daily consumers with little or no car audio knowledge. ask anybody who does their own installs and theyll all laugh at you if you try to call JL top of the line. start a thread on it ask everyones opionon of JL audio, no wait i will take the liberty to do it and you just sit back and watch

Silver Member

Post Number: 299
thank you CTMIKE, please put that guy in his place!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
please i dont hear sh*t about re or fi what ever that crazp is...thats all bull...freaken pioneer won the spl conest this year and pioneer sucks lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 302
ok dude you obviously know nothing about car audio, get your facts straight before you make ignorant comments

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 2911
pioneer won not cause of their product but because of thier budget. and you don't hear about re or fi or any of the other good brands because you probably only spend time in local stores along with best buy and circuit city which only cater to mostly uninformed consumers. search around other forums and see for yourself, just because alot of brands may not be popular 'mainstream' doesn't mean thier sh_tty, fact is brands like re, fi, dd, aa, and others are alot more popular than you would think, to people who are in to car audio.

again, do research before you come here posting bullsh_t you know nothing about.

Silver Member
Username: Spandmh1

Tunnel hill, Ga Usa

Post Number: 115
AudioQue PWNZZ JL!!! and AQ is like 9230752893 times cheaper! HAHAa! i used to be a bandwagon person too... i thought JL and Kicker was the sNit but now that ive learned from this forum... psssh they are GARBAGE compared to others!

Silver Member

Post Number: 304
very true AQ is an awesome brand, but i do like JL and Kicker but both are mainstream and way overpriced, def not worth the money

Silver Member
Username: Spandmh1

Tunnel hill, Ga Usa

Post Number: 116
HIGHLY agree bro. u should go post on my thread its titled "need some advice please!" cuz i do.. i cant decide on my next setup

Silver Member

Post Number: 377
trey and mike should put the pipe down please
JL not top of the line?
bangwagon has rolled into town 1st it was re then it was acsendant then id then dd now Fi

the only ones that are even mentioned still is the jl subwoofer and the fi only because fi is the flavor of the month

the build quality is so much better in the w7 then these off brands its no contest DD will give it a run for its money how ever but its not even worth arguing for people who think these companys offer better products then jl

amps coponets subwoofers.....who's got it? JL

Silver Member

Post Number: 311
what are you talkin about? check the great 12 challenge, Fi and Jl were both deemed excellent build quality. just look around and see what equipment is used on the competition circuit and then try to tell me that JL is in the same league as DD and RE

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 2913
lil jon, no one here is saying jl is crap. but top of the line, above all other brands, no.

so until you and the other idiot bobby dunkino do more research and actually hear/use/know people with other products other then just 'mainstream' companies then please do not post any more on this topic.
END OF THREAD

Silver Member

Post Number: 379
I like some off brand companys being i have some avalanches and listend to Re 06 subs wich are for sale for half its retail now so is the treo. come on when a company comes in the game they look at the w7 and try to do better

and theres alway some guy saying some guy that sells these subs say there crap well since when do car audio dealers know anything? I had 2 dealer tell me zapco is garbage, and G4s were all junk. most people hear never stuck a w7 in there car and thats a fact because it cost to much wich is under standable so until you can buy the mainstream brands and put them in your car along side the affordable brands then you dont post anymore on this topic

Silver Member

Post Number: 380
and if you cant afford a jl i know majority in this thread havent heard re 06 subs
so keep dreaming like yall know I actually been listening

Silver Member
Username: Teddy21

Ann Arbor, MI USA

Post Number: 412
ive had kicker subs, JL subs, 1 rockford sub, and 1 RE audio sub and outta all the three, The best in my personal opinion is RE audio. Great bass, great response and just overall a good subwoofer.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
image dynamic id max is the absolute best...read it and weep..and i dont feel like jl is expensive..if it was beter then images..id be mroe then happy to pay for a 15 inch w7..money has nuthen to do with it..its all about how its built and how it sounds and the image dynamic id max is just that. please tell me im wrong and why.

Silver Member

Post Number: 381
w7s dont come in 15'' Genius
just dont post anymore please

Silver Member

Post Number: 382
so keep dreaming like yall know I actually been listening
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts