Do I need an equalizer/crossover?

Username: Mr1159

Iowa Usa

Post Number: 5
hello,I am wondering if I should get an equalizer or a crossover,or both.here is my setup:
(2)JL audio 12w6v2 subwoofer in a sealed enclosure
(1)jl audio 1000/1 mono amp to power the subs
(1)set of jl audio vr690-cxi's
(1)set of jl audio vr525-cxi speakers
(1)jl audio 300/4 amplifier to run the 6 by 9's and 525-cxi's
headunit is a clarion dxz955mc receiver,plus i am going to add dynamat in the trunk soon.
I want the best possible sound i can get with this setup and i heard someone mention that audiocontrol have great equalizers,but I want to know If i need/should get one.PLEASE give me your inputs.thank you.
just want to add>i went through hell to install my head unit because i have a 1997 cadillac deville,and they are very complicating because they ignition switch is hard to find,etc.when factory deck is removed i ran into many problems.

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1412
No.

You need better speakers for crossovers. Co-axial speakers are not as good as component sets. Component sets usually come with a factory crossover only between the mid and the tweeter. They still need a low frequency filter on the mid to protect them from bottoming out. You can buy an expensive electronic crossover or just an inexpensive bass blocker. I would just get the bass blocker. One for each component. You should use a bass blocker for co-axials, or components. They all need them. You will damage them if you dont.

IMO equalizers should not be used. All adjustments should be done physically, not electronically.

The 6X9's and the 5.25's are both co-axial speakers. This means that they have some-what of a crossover, but not a good one. Co-axial also means that some parts may be parasitic. The tweeters and/or the middle part of a 3-way co-axial speaker usually parasite off of the main drivers magnet. They are similar to piezo tweeters.

Silver Member
Username: Warlok

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 116
^^ I agree , components will go much better that coax. I personally found that people who have had 1/2 octave EQ's, have phenominal sound quality.

Silver Member
Username: Warlok

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 117
And I dont think you need an EQ, but I dont think it would hurt. Though, you might want some more opinions on that, because a lil eq is nice and sometimes not a bad idea, but most people overkill the whole concept of an eq.

Username: Eugenexox

Post Number: 1
if i have a equalizer do i still need amp
i hope someone can give an answer
thank you so much}
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums