Andrew's SI Mag 15" Review...

Silver Member
Username: Mvplefty12

Pinellas, FLA America

Post Number: 489
Ok, after 2 days of cruisin with the mag here's what I've came up with.

Car: 1999 Honda Civic EX coupe
Sub: 15" Si Mag
Amp: Memphis MCD1000 = 1100 x 1ohm
Box: 3.5 cu. ft. @ 30hz

First things first... This thing is amazing.
The efficiency on this beast seems uncomprehendable. It's something you'd have to experience to understand. The first day I got the sub, I wired it up to my amp, outside my car with the top off the box. Gain was turned all the way down... after 2 minutes 3 neighbors came out to see what the noise was from. I was sold at that point. Next day I got it all wired up and installed in the 'Vic and it scared me. I played the volume on 10/35 for about 15 minutes with the subwoofer level at 0 and it goes to +15. At around 800 that night I decided to see what she can really do. I threw in the new Jeezy and played the intro. The lows took me by suprised, well, me and every other spectator in the Publix parking lot. Flex on the car gets stupid large on tracks like that. That was with the volume at 20/35 and the Sub level still at 0. I've yet to turn it up past 0 yet because I'm still on my stock electrical. I previewed the new setup at school this morning and I think the Mag one the hearts of many at my school. Songs I've played so far and absolutly loved:
1. Young Jeezy - Thug Motivation 102
2. Yung Joc - New Joc City
3. Young Bloodz - Play your position, grown man
4. Tech N9ne - Everready
5. E-40 - My ghetto report card

And a few other random songs, I must say... they all sound amazing. Also, this setup is much louder then the 2 12" Fi Q's sealed and as loud as 2 15" SSD's ported in a wall I've heard. No dissing Fi, just IMO.
I'm running 16 gauge to the sub just if you're wondering. My home computer has a virus right now so I might not respond till this time tomorrow. Thats all for now!

Thanks,
Andrew

Silver Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 714
im gonna have to call ur bluff on this one ... now i know the mag is a great woofer and im not doubting that one bit ... but i dont believe its gonna have better spl then 2 dual woofer setups ... especially with a q and ssd setup... one being walled for that matter ... either these people dont know what they are doing or your lying .. especially on a stock electrical ...

but good choice on woofer

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Fi Audio BTL

Post Number: 8912
yeah that was what i was thinking. those guys must of done something really wrong.

good review.

Silver Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 574
whata l ame review... ;] <3 u andy

Gold Member
Username: Mr_kebo

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 1008
lol. good review other than the Weak attempt at promoting the mag lol

Silver Member
Username: Lil_jon

Post Number: 375
I heard worse on this board before Mike much much worse

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

The biggity biggity BAY, California USA

Post Number: 1482
my ghetto report card isnt a song.

Silver Member
Username: Mvplefty12

Pinellas, FLA America

Post Number: 490
"my ghetto report card isnt a song." It's the entire cd. I'm not lying about the Fi setups either. I know it may be hard to believe but the 2 Q's were sealed in a small trunk w/ a very small box. The guy said each sub had 2.2 cu ft a piece but there was no way. Also the SSD's were about even with the Mag. The Q's sealed started losing good amounts of SPL in the high 40hz low to mid 50hz range. The song I heard them on was Alan Jackson - The blues man chopped and screwed. The biggest factor I can see for the Q's not winning in SPL would be that the trunk of the car they were in was an absolute rattle trap. I also have the back seats out of my car right now which helps my SPL levels. The 2 15" SSD's were walled off in the same car as mine. The subs imo are too close to you to get the most out of them. From talking with various car audio experts, the farther away the subs in an enclosed enviroment yields maximum sustainable SPL levels to the ear. Some cars meter better then others but don't sound as loud. For instance, a van at a local show with 16 12" CVR's hurt my ears and only put up a 144.2 on the TL. Where as the 'Vic with the 2 15" SSD's weren't anywhere close to as loud as the van, yet put up a 147.something on the TL. Some difficulties I'm experiencing is when I change the track on my HU, the sub makes a huge boom noise. From what I've read, I believe thats tied into either the RCA's or the remote turn on wire. Any ideas on how to fix it? I still need to bolt down my amp too beacuse when the lows kick in hard the amp bounces around and it pulls loose my ground wire. Also the 2 other cars I was comparing them to were running on their stock electrical systems. I have nothing to gain from promoting the Mag, and no reason to lie to any of you. I'm just telling you from my experience with all of these subs. Any feedback will be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

The biggity biggity BAY, California USA

Post Number: 1489
oh ok.. my fault

that cd does have good bass
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help