Box port area question

Gold Member
Username: Thomas_g

NM

Post Number: 2083
I was wondering, i know people say that the more port area the more spl is it true?? Would there be a big difference in sound and spl between a box with 19 sq in and a box with like 50 sq in?? Does more port area mean shakes more stuff and does better hair tricks on the low bass notes?? thanx...

Silver Member
Username: Mygame5982

Comp Vr H-TOWN, TEXAS US

Post Number: 901
yea
you have the right idea

Gold Member

NM

Post Number: 2084
bump anyone else??

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 2496
good question.

Gold Member

NM

Post Number: 2085
bump anyone else

Gold Member

Post Number: 2514
well the key is norm 16sq of port per cube

Gold Member

NM

Post Number: 2086
ya but say do u think if the greater amount of sqin of port area, the better to do hair tricks and flex sh!t??

Right now i got like 19 but im thinkin of going to like 49.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2516
well.. think about it. the more air you can get flowing out the the box.. the more moving air you have inside the cabin

when it comes to SPL.. it can be different.. sometimes more port area is worse and won't allow enough pressure to build.

but for daily more port area is fine... as long as you have the room for it

49 is not insane.. i run 65

Gold Member

NM

Post Number: 2087
DDDaaaaayyyymmmmm 65?? U gotta pic of it i wanna c it, wut size of sub do u got kevin?? Ya well im just here with my 12 Q and i wanna see how it will perform with more port area so i wuz thinkin like 2-2.5 cuft tuned to 30hz with like 49 sqin of port how u think itll sound?? How does urs sound and stuff?? Thanx.

Silver Member
Username: Bass__monkey

Las Vegas, Nevada U.S. of A.

Post Number: 279
for me the bigger the port area, the better... there has also been talk of "if the port is too big u lose some of the compression inside of the box", but that depends on the internal air mass, power applied, cone area, etc. for critical audiophiles the port placement and woofer placement becomes like an art. not audible.... in a vehicle because of the different spikes of the vehicles harsh metallic flexing enviroment where u have resonating effects. PLENTY,PLENTY,LOTS of this n that but it all boils down to the person's tastes and "how they DIY!" have fun get dem hands dirty n happy new year to all!

Silver Member
Username: Alexv305

Tavernier, FL USA

Post Number: 474
how many sqin per cubic foot is what hes talking about. 49 sq in per cube i think would be rediculous. i have 2 treo ssxs and i did 15 sq inches per cube.

Gold Member

NM

Post Number: 2088
wut up thanx FI monkey havnt talked to u in a long while lol ur alwayz in a happy mood. Do u think there is a difference in sound between a small and a really large port area?? And since u know FI how big do u think i could go with a 12 Q?? Thanx man... :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2557
I'm running a single RE SX 15" for now.. port is 14.5 x 4.5

The only pic that I could find right now is this one.. im not running it like that and the box does not look the same now.. but it is the box lol.

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Fi Audio BTL

Post Number: 8862
that is insane man.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2559
heres the current setup
.. but it will be changing :-)
Upload

Gold Member

NM

Post Number: 2089
Nice. :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 280
at low volumes there is no audible difference... higer u go the more compression u will encounter... for the 12" q i'd stick to 16 cu.in. of port per cu.ft. hey, maybe give me ur trunk dimensions and i'll try to design u a box... i have to know what to work with in order to optimize the air volume with the port... "i don't use computer programs i use a ti 83 plus calc that i programmed myself.... hehe i have the jl calculations as well as the mtx equations (some of em...) programmed in. yup im ol school but i love diy!

Gold Member
Username: Mr_kebo

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 1007
well i have 230sqin of port :D

Gold Member

NM

Post Number: 2090
Thats kool FI Monkey thanx alot i would like to see what you would recommend, right now its really cold though so i will take measurements tomarrow ok. I know for the Height i can go 15".

Mr kebo dammmn what r ur port dimentions, box size and sub, do u got any pics??

Silver Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 940
i got 60 or 72 sq in.. im not sure which one i have to look back on plans but id think 60 off the top of my head about 3cuft per cabin, dual cabin

Silver Member

Post Number: 282
man kebo im thinking spl with that port....? lol

Gold Member

NM

Post Number: 2091
k FI monkey i can do 15.5" high, 35" wide, and about 20" deep. Thanx.

I have a ford focus se so IMO it sounds better with the sub firing in the cabin and the port.

I just made a short low quality vid of my Q movin my window if i find out how to put it on ill show u guyz, but the quality really really sux azz cuz i used a cheap cam.

Gold Member

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 1009
box is 14cubes after port and sub displacment port is 5x46.5x19 for 2 18" BTLs

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/308851.html you can look there for the pics.

Silver Member

Post Number: 285
tj... forgot to mention if u use the larger port it gets longer and when it gets longer, the port will take up more displacement. not sure if u wanna take up more room. ok, now for how big u can u go with a q... (before i list this, this' my design and is no way related to recommended specs from fi, just MY suggestion if u want a little more output at low notes.) 3.0 cubes with 50 sq.in. of port tuned to 30 hz. want it a little bigger? 4.0 cubes with 64 cu.in. of port tuned to 33 hz. THIS' FOR 1 12" Q. GUYS BE WISE HERE, IF UR TRUNK IS SMALL THE BOX WILL BE TOO BIG AND IT WILL SOUND BAD! if u want the optimum box i usually go fill up the trunk and take up 65% of it's trunk space, the other percent is for reflection... oh n dynamat it too... don't forget that license plate, i use left over box carpet lol!! that percentage works for me... oh on a quick note i don't router the end of the slot port. i sand it down until i see the angle i want. through experience sometimes a smaller box is better n louder. that's why i custom diy everything, to let u know! yeah im crazy i know but for the love of DIY!!! ima broke! but rock on u naughty BASS HEADZ!

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 3476
damn kebo beat me. i got 225.5 sqin

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2329
Hey Kev is that one mine? Take good care of her she was very loyal to me you know! Polo.. :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2609
nah.. that one is sitting on the floor by my movies.. i have to design and build a new box for them both.

gonna be a pain :-(.. but worth it

Silver Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL Afghanistan,...

Post Number: 963
kebo.. how much power u running to them subs in that box? how loud does it get?

Gold Member

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 1067
kicker zx2500.1 to each. dont have the subs yet so dont know lol. Im just now starting this project like a week ago.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2337
Hey Kev, you keep it clean you can run 2000 rms to each of them subs. Polo.. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

[:-]15 RE XXX[:-]

Post Number: 4457
lol i have 96sq inches if port area on my box:-)

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

[:-]15 RE XXX[:-]

Post Number: 4474
bump
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us