2 Batteries

Username: Chief_brody

Cerritos, CA USA

Post Number: 6
Here's one for ya. I put a second, 210RC, 125A hour, deep cycle battery in my van to power the 800W amp. My original battery is a Die Hard Range Handler 700CCA, 875CA. I haven't upgraded the alternator yet. The system and the whole car seems to be running and starting a lot better than it was, so far. I think the alternator is 130A. Do you have any tips or suggestions? I heard something needing a battery isolator device, but I don't know much about them.

Thanks again. You're too kind.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5822
Unless you have 2 identical sized battery, it's always a good idea to isolate them. That way you won't left stranded with dead batteries.
You may think the problem's gone till the batteries need charging. Since you have 2, it'll take that much longer to recharge.
Do a google search on isolators. Some are designed better than others. Don't go cheap.

Username: Chief_brody

Cerritos, CA USA

Post Number: 7
Do you think that a 130A alternator is big enough to charge both batteries?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5823
As long as you don't have heater/air conditioner/spot lights or anything else that eats up lot of current on at the same time. You'll know when it can't, the lights will dim badly or the engine rev will sound odd.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us