Really A Newb Question

Username: Tinocb32

Florida U.S.

Post Number: 1
can someone please tell me like the differences in ohm's its confusing me like 4 ohm and 2 ohm...thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Skibum12189

Post Number: 61
haha too long to explain really...more complicated than i even know, but if youre just lookin for how to wire different subs...go to rockford fosgate's website and use the woofer wiring wizard to see how you can wire up the subs.

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1371
Ohms are a resistence, like a spring, but electrically not mechanically. The higher the ohms; the more resistence the load will have.

So, if a speaker is rated at 4 ohms, it will supply a given amount of resistence to the voltage coming in.

Now, a speaker rated at 2 ohms speaker will resist less, and therefore allow voltage to pass through easier.

This resistence affects the amp, not the speaker. A higher lower resistence will allow the amp to generate or push with more power. Thats why an amp will push out say 2000 watts at 1 ohm, or 1000 watts at 2 ohm, or 500 watts at 4 ohms, or 250 watts at 8 ohms. See how the higher resistence (ohms) chokes the amp?

Not all amps will advertise power the same. Some will double the wattage as resistence halves. Some amp manufacturers are not be as brave. They may advertise less to be on the safe side.

Hope this helps.

Read www.bcae1.com

Username: Brayden

Canada

Post Number: 2
Id like to add to this question if i may.

Does the different ohms if you wire it affect the sound? and in what way? and which way would you suggest?

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1120
the idea is to wire your subs at an impedance that makes the most use of a given amp.

The primary differences in sound would simply be due to the power output at varying impedances of the amp being used.

Sound changes due strictly to varying impedances are subtle at most - not an issue dealing with several hundred to thousand watt (or more) sub amps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us