HELP: Push button start

Silver Member
Username: Buddyleee5

Post Number: 370
MY grandmother is having trouble turning the key on her 2204 i think ford taurus. I told her that i would look into gettin her a push button start system for her car, but i cant seem too find too much information. Has anyone installed one of these? or knows anything about them? How hard are they to install and where can i find the kit? any information or insight is appreciated.

Silver Member

Post Number: 371
oh wow, i need to use spell check, its getting late. I meant to say my and 2004

Bronze Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 97
Something like this would work and it comes with a cd-rom install video:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewitem.php?id=8260&affiliate=bizrate

Silver Member

Post Number: 373
you still have to turn the key with a remote starter... She already has a remote starter but still has trouble turning the key

Silver Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 866
I don't understand what you mean by "has trouble turning the key" if she has no strength to turn the key don't you think it's a good time to stop driving?Regardless,you can find the kits at any auto store and they are extremely simple to install.I'm positive you can do it.All you're doing is jumping the power from the power cable to the solenoid.At least that's how I remember doing it with a screwdriver at school and my brother installed a few and that's how I remember it being done.But...on newer cars it might be more difficult with security systems and all.

Silver Member

Post Number: 375
no shes completley competent, she jsut has arthritis in her right hand and cant turn the key, shes a better driver then most of the people ive been in a car with actually. How do you prevent someone from just smashing the window and taking the car though? if all it has is the push button start. i know in the new maxima and altima's they ahve the intellikey so you cnat do that but on a kit im sure there has to be some kind of security feature to protect it.

Silver Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Post Number: 168
Matt, before you put too much effort into this, remember that on most cars the steering wheel locks in place when the key is turned to off. You would have to disassemble the steering column (no easy task) and figure out how to disable the lock. BTW I'm also not sure if that is legal. I don't doubt that it is possible to do all this but I think it is more work than you may have expected.

Silver Member
Username: Freezeman_7

FI SSD, OK U.S.A

Post Number: 561
with push button start, u still have to turn the key to the acc position, and from there jus push the button, my uncle puts them in all the time... so to answer your question, no keys, no start. so the button work work without your keys...... it shouldnt be that hard at all. dont disable anything with the steering column, that will just cause more problems down the road. go to the ford dealership she bought it from, and ask the service manager what he thinks, then just go to an accessory shop, and ask what opitions they have!!! that should work man

Silver Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Post Number: 169
Don't take it to a dealer, waste of time. They won't support anything aftermarket. Chase, it is possible to start a car without the keys, thats what a remote starter does. Matt, I can think of several ways to do what you are wanting to do, if you could disable the steering lock. I would only recommend attempting that if you are machanicaly(sp?) inclined though.

Silver Member
Username: Freezeman_7

FI SSD, OK U.S.A

Post Number: 562
my dads dealership has installed many push button starts, hes a ford dealer.. i realize what remote start, a remote has an encrytped signal making it jus like a key
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us