Where to mount my tweeters

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 1611
Components are CDT HD 62/M6. Whats the most common place to mount tweeters? on the door panel that is.

Bronze Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 89
Up high near the dash generally where you have room to hole saw and where you don't have any wires or window hardware behind. But, you should try to mount them higher somewhere to raise your front stage. What about your A-pillars?

Gold Member

Cambodian

Post Number: 1613
I want it in my door panel flushed in. I will post a picture when I can on a spot that I think might be perfect.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2620
i put mine close to the midbass

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Fi Audio BTL

Post Number: 8629
yeah close to the midbass sounds the best. i put mine too far off but its alright. it still sounds good.

Gold Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 1397
as close to the midrange as possible. Aim it up towards your dome light. DO NOT put it on the A-pillar unless you have some form of time alignment as the imaging will be messed up as your highs will appear before your mids. If you can, get the braxial mount.

Gold Member

Cambodian

Post Number: 1628
Thanks guys, this will help me install my comps sooner that later.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Fi Audio BTL

Post Number: 8640
you're welcome.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 4171
I try to keep them as close as possible, no more than 2-3 inches from the mid. I always mount them a tad above the mid and directed more to the listeners ears in a criss cross fashion.

The problem with mounting the tweeter up high in sound quality applications is the fact that the tweeter's timing is out of phase with the woofers, making the higher frequencies reach your ears first. You can't adjust the tweeters timing unless you bi-amp the system, which is difficult and requires perfect blending of power. As far as A-pillars, while good for added high frequency clarity, frequencies that require blending the tweeter and woofer (such as the typical female voice) will be off because the tweeter is heard faster than the woofer, making the soundstage less than perfect. Actually, competition winning vehicles usually use the component tweeter as close to the woofer as possible. This provides a centered soundstage with good blending of the drivers. Then, they may add additional tweeters up high and attenuate them just to raise the soundstage and give a bit more side to side definition. The reason "Professional" installations don't put them in places other than the A pillar is because most of them use factory door locations and use A pillars so they don't have to totally gash the interior to mount the tweeters, that and they don't often make kick panels. Mike started with the dash and didn't like it, so the A-pillars wouldn't be any improvement.

Gold Member

Cambodian

Post Number: 1664
thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us