Extreme Engine Whine????

Username: Skibum12189

Post Number: 10
I just installed a Kicker ZX350.4 brand new and four 6.5" Infinity Kappa Coaxials in a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Limited (with Infinity system, but I've now totally buypassed it with a Pioneer Premier Head Unit (4 volt preouts).
BUT........
Huge Problem. My speakers whine soooooo loud. When i rev the engine, it gets faster, but when I turn the speaks up loud, its drowned out. Car off....amazing sounding speaks.
I checked the grounding. (0/1 gauge from a brand new mopar battery, nothing special, just new. Stock alternator. The 0/1 goes to a stinger distrubtion block and 2 4 gauge cables go to my hifonics 1206d and my kicker 350.4) all the groundings good, rcas dont touch power, speaker wire doesnt touch power....but i have nooooooooo clue what the hell is wrong. A guy I know who installs this stuff for his job at a custom audio shop did most of it for me and said it could be the amp. What do you guys think?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
This is very loud engine whine when the car is on, not subtle at all. Totally bothersome unless speakers are turned up to 40 out 62 volume.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
separate groundings by the way.....

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 10868
I have the same problem in my girls ride

i think its the alternator...look here

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169657

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1570
"separate groundings by the way....."

Use one ground. Run all grounds to a single points. Multiply grounds cause ground loops. Diffrence in voltage between grounds and power. Just use a Dblock for the grounds, or run en to the same spot.

Bronze Member
Username: Rtyauch301

Post Number: 79
is it all the speakers or just 1 because i had a friend with a older car and the plug wires for theengin were messing with it he had 2 get some new ones

Bronze Member
Username: Rtyauch301

Post Number: 80
but it was only messing with the driver side frount speaker

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1780
Let's try a simple solution...How close are the speaker (signal) wires running to the power and/or ground wires?

That's usually a quick solution, caused by them simply running too close to each other. The grounds are also commonly a problem.

I don't think that 4 channel amp draws enough power to put an alternator in a hurting position...But maybe I'm wrong...

Gold Member
Username: Blainew

Alpine type S 6.5 inch...

Post Number: 2013
wouldnt it be good to run the two grounds to a D block, then groung the d block....

bc right now...his setup is set up like this....

sub amp has a o gauge ground to one spot, with 4 gauge power
speaker amp as a 4 gauge ground to another spot with 4 gauge power

should he run the 0 guage ground to a d block, then 4 gauge ground to each amp???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
the power wire and speaker wire dont touch anywhere and neither do the rcas

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1573
should he run the 0 guage ground to a d block, then 4 gauge ground to each amp???

Yes

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I did that, still whining like crazy

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1578
Take all the amp grounds, Just twist em together and run them straight from the amps to the Battery Neg terminal. If you still have whining, Remove one amp from wire, Switch around to see if you can find if its both amps or just one.
Post results.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
tried it, nothing worked, ive checked all the grounds minus the HU

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1621
Make sure amps are not screwed into any metal. Check HU ground. Now when you tested the amps with a new ground to the battery, did you test one at a time? and did both cause whine? Could be a cheap pair of RCA wires. disconnect the remote wire at the amp and Try jumping the remote to the amps Positive wire. That will rule out the rem as the culprit. If its both amps, then 99% sure its a ground issue. Is it was only one amp, then it could be a bad amp or speaker/sub. but both amps....Ground.

Gold Member
Username: Blainew

Alpine type S 6.5 inch...

Post Number: 2050
we fixed it! rca problem

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1622
Thanks fot the update. Were the RCAs wires Bad?
Or was it a amp/hu rca proplem?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Initially we tried 3 different RCAs idk what the hell we did wrong but the whine still went on, but then blaine just hooked up his ipod with like 3 foot rcas to the front rca amp inputs on the amp and there was no whine so we figure it was the rcas?? Rewiring this weekend.....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us