Hifonics and Kicker Help

Username: Livingloudl7

Post Number: 4
Ok I just got my new BXi 1606D Hifonics amp wired to a 2 ohm load to a 15" Kicker L7(dvc 4ohm). it basically runs pretty decent but if i turn the volume up all they way or at least close to it, the protect light comes on and the amp cuts off. and to turn it back on i have to restart my car or basically turn the amp off and back on. I'm not sure why this is going on.. but I know the Amp accepts 2-4 gauge wires and i have 8 gauge wires for the 12v and the ground? would this have anything to do with it? I don't have a cap or anything either just my stock electrical system on my 2k jeep grand cherokee. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Post Number: 6
Anyone?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 8519
thats Hifonics for you. Check over all your wiring.

Bronze Member
Username: Shade

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 48
i was under the impression the hifonics amps already detect what load to use by your sub wiring config. atleast that's how it worked for me

Bronze Member
Username: Derick06

Rio Grande City, Texas United States

Post Number: 53
You probably need 4 gauge wire for that amplifer. 1000 watts rms is too much for that 8 gauge wire.

Silver Member
Username: Brynm

Prince Albert, SK Canada

Post Number: 257
8 guage is way to small for that amp, you probably have some heavy voltage drop on that, upgrade it to 4 guage minimum preferably 2 guage. if you have access to a dc voltmeter put it on your power inputs of the amp with the music turned up it's probably not getting enough power

Post Number: 7
Yeah thats probably best.. I'll get 2 or 4 gauge wires and let you know how it goes.

Bronze Member
Username: Imalik

Jackson, New Jersey Ocean

Post Number: 41
you need 1/0 gauge wire for that amp, that could be the reason why its going into protect mode, check your speaker, make sure it's wired right. when set up right that amp will do a very good job

Gold Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 8585
its not the wire, I would check all your wiring, in the box, from the box to the amp make sure it is wired correctly. Check and make sure the ground is solid and the paint is scratched away and it is secure. make sure there is no strands of wire arcing the neg and pos terminals all it takes is one strand. I would bet on wiring problem not size of wire. http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/woofer_wizard.asp?submitted=true&woofer_qt y=1&woofer_imp=4

Post Number: 8
Well I'm pretty sure my wires are all secure. But do you think its safe to run 8 gauge wires with 1100 wrms? also would a cap. help maybe?

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 2860
i'd up it to 4 gauge at least and no a cap. wont help.

Bronze Member
Username: Imalik

Jackson, New Jersey Ocean

Post Number: 45
If you look in the manual you will see that amp req's 1/0 gauge wire. I have a 1206d

Post Number: 9
Ok so its not going to help my problem but a cap would help my system overall.

I bought my amp on ebay so I didn't get a manual but thanks Malik.

Gold Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 8635
your lucky if you get 1000 watts out of that amp, I repeat LUCKY! your wiring could be upgraded to 4 guage but again its not your wiring thats your problem. Try changing your ground. Also maybe you bought a faulty amp.

Post Number: 10
How many watts do you think it truely puts out at 2 ohms? 1 ohm? I also purchased bigger wire and i'll install it later this week. Also I turned the gain down very slightly and the problem ceased. It barley affects the volume too.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 3817
BIG 3+ HO alt

Gold Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 8645
60% power is what to expect out of that amp.

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 2048
ive heard 80% for hifonics amps, im hoping its 80% and not 60% cause i got my 1206d chillin here next to me. rated at 1200 at 1 ohm, hoping to get atleast 900-1000 out of it.

and just for kicks, id upgrade the 8 gauge to something bigger, 1/0 preferably cause incase you upgrade later

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 12 Premier...

Post Number: 10328
im thinking he's got a current draw issue - not enough juice being created fast enough

still try upgrading that punny wire though.....

Gold Member

Post Number: 3824
james put 60% cuz of voltage drops. But you can expect 1000w rms from that hifonics if you have a good electrical system.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
And again thats 1000wrms at 2 ohms? so it would be 80% of its rated 1600 wrms at 1 ohm correct?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3846
i'd only use that amp at 1 ohm personally.

Silver Member
Username: Icecreamman5687

Post Number: 117
be carefull at running that amp at one ohm.. have a good electrical system to back it cause i have the bxi1606d ran at 1 ohm and it messed my amp up bad.. all that happens now is that the power light blinks and it constently sends a short pulse to my subs when the light blinks even with the hu turned down...i called the people at hifoniks and they said it sounds like i starved the amp to death....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Well I guess I'll upgrade the elec. system. but why would you only want to run it at 1 ohm? wouldn't it run more effecient at 2 ohms?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us