13w6v2 or 12w7

Bronze Member
Username: Ndjumpman23mj

Post Number: 46
im debating on these two subs. $$ is not an issue with these two, i would get the 13w7 but $$ is an issue on that one. which one will get louder with better sq?

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 10845
i would ge the w6v2...it is an overall better sub imo...

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 8474
well teh w7 will get louder but not have as good of SQ. I would take w6v2 ported FTW:-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
thanks guys. i think im gona go with the 13w6v2 in a ported box

Gold Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 8479
nice choice:-)

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Fi Audio BTL

Post Number: 8452
very nice choice

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Im pushing i... And pushing ...

Post Number: 3005
13w6 will be louder than the 8w7 but not as loud but pretty close to the 10w7 but with soooo much better sq

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
im looking for something louder than the 8 and 10w7

i pretty much made up my mind on the 13w6v2

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Im pushing i... And pushing ...

Post Number: 3006
13w6 have 21mm of xmax
8w7 have 18mm
10 have 22m
12w7 have like 27
13w7 have like 32 or 36

but yeah 13w6 will be on top with the 10w7 since for the cone area but again 10w7 have a much stronger force thanks to the bl

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
do you guys know anywhere online where its cheaper because the place where im gettin my install done want 600 and ive seen it cheaper online but i wanted to save as much $$ as possible

Gold Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 8483
Ebay

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
im not a big ebay guy, any online stores?

Bronze Member
Username: Vtecpower

Post Number: 33
I think it depends on your choice of amplifier and the power you have to play with.

Personally I have tried a 13W6v2 sealed and then a 12W7 ported running off a JL 500/1, the amp tuned perfectly for the sub in each case, and I found that for me, the W7 won by far.

The clarity and detail was right up there with the W6v2 but with so much more depth; the W7 punched with so much more authority and, as one of its reviews pointed out, listening to it really was a completely addictive and absorbing experience.

In terms of SQ I wouldn't say the W6v2 is 'better' - they both sound different. The best way I can describe it is that the W6 would hit every beat with perfect accuracy... then stop, hit the next beat, then stop. This gave it a more intricate and 'delicate' sound. The W7 also picked up every single beat but then it would blend one beat into the next, resulting in a constant, smooth crescendo which dealt out wave after wave of deep, chunky, addictive bass that made the W6 feel weedy by comparison.

In terms of SPL there was simply no comparison, the W6v2 (even when ported) never even got close; the W7 made everyone's jaws drop, filled the car with loads bass regardless of frequency; and dropped so SOO low, producing earthquake-type near-seismic waves that the W6 couldn't dream of; in fact the W7 just took the goalposts and simply ran away with it.

Then I hooked up the W7 to a class AB zapco mono reference amp giving about 900W RMS and it got even better ... I realised that 500-600W RMS would get a W7 loud and sound good but really it needs its full rated power (preferably with a bit of extra headroom) to get the most SQ out of it.

Just my 2c; hope you enjoy your sub 'cos you can't go wrong with either of these anyway.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
^^ thanks, great review

Silver Member
Username: Dsmith07

LaGrange, NC US oF A

Post Number: 392
i might be gettin a barely used 12w7 for 500$ in the next couple months...i think it would wang in a ported box powered by my 500/1 :-)

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 753
The 13w6v2 is the better choice I think. The 13w6v2 has 100.4 sq. in, with .85 inches xmax, while the 12w7 has only 84 sq. inches, with 1.15 inches xmax.

If you ported the 13w6v2 it would be almost as loud as the 12w7 but would sound nicer, and with less power. The 13w6v2 is the smart choice I think.

Keep in mind his review of these subs above is comparing a w7 ported to a w6v2 sealed.

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 754
My bad he said "(even when ported)".

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5821
Try JL 10W7 in a HO box before you spend money.

Bronze Member
Username: Vtecpower

Post Number: 34
Yeh, it comes down to what amp you'll be using I guess?

My friend has a 10W7 ported in a 2001 BMW 3 series and by God it bumps! ... and has great SQ to boot.

The guy waiting to put 500/1 to 12W7 ported... yeh go for it, if you're after SPL it can be played to hurt. Turn it up further and it'll hurt real bad - just watch your hearing!

Bear in mind that with this setup you'll only be getting like 85% of the SQ from that woofer (which is still darn good!) (but you'd notice it most when the amp's being stretched hard on the lowest notes); but then another way to look at it is that the woofer will be putting every last ounce of power from your amp to (very good) use.

As for W6 vs W7, I should have clarified; I actually started with a 12W6v2 sealed, then moved to 12W7 sealed, then 13W6v2 sealed, 13W6v2 ported, followed by 12W7 ported (currently I'm on 2 Diamond Audios TDX 12s ported to try something different, but that's another story ... )

I'd say if you have 700-1000 watts available and are not hung on maximising SPL, seal the 12W7 and ENJOY!! It'll sound extremely addictive and cause very loud tremors should you so wish.

Failing that, with 400-600W go with 12W7 ported (or 10W7 either sealed or ported); failing that W6v2 ported, and if you really must, W6v2 sealed.

Remember to install with proper wiring, enclosure, tuning etc etc or you'll end up wondering where your hundreds of $$ actually went, and why your mate with a single 12" infinity kappa running off a 200 RMS alpine amp is louder ...

Good luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us