H\O alt... dying?

Silver Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL USA

Post Number: 822
For the past 2 weeks my lights on the blazer would pulsate sorta like if your looking at your headlights and hit a bump, the voltage on the dash doesnt look like it drops at all when i do that, but just today (i was driving all day thismorning fine) but i started my ride to goto work and noticed after gettin off the e-way my voltage meter was lower then normal around 13V, when i hit the gas it went back up until i started to idle at a stop again and it dropped, my music is off, all electrical devices in the ride are normal... seat heaters and stuff off... does my H\O look like its dying? BTW the belt IS GOOD.... if its bad which i think it is im sticking my 100A in there for a temp solution..

I have about 3500rms running in my ride and it was a 200A with a redtop and yellow top optima along with 0gauge... if i use the 100A for a period of 2 months do you think anything will break? I will probally not be beating the subs as hard while using it maybe limit it to about 2500rms.....
What H\O's are better Nates with Excessive Amperage or the Iraggi H\O;s? and where do i find iraggi's? I know how to get ahold of nate already... i believe alst time i spoke with him it was a 300A for 450~$ or somthing im not to sure what he said idle was i think 100A~ or so ....

any ideas, recommendations?

btw the next system setup im getting around the same time frame as the next H\O alt will be pushing around 6K daily and 12K burps with either 2 15 BTL's or 2 15 DD9500F ..what would be my best bet for batterys? Optima, Kinetics, or Batcapp?

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2544
sounds like you burnt up the stator. look inside the alt and see if the copper coils are burnt.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2278
Pull the regulator and make sure all contacts are clean. I get weird voltage flicker once in a while too until I did what I said and it stopped. 200A is a little small for a 3500 rms system unless your running a bank of batteries. Polo.

Silver Member

IL USA

Post Number: 850
The regulator is inside of it right? I checked the voltage at idle with my DMM and had about 13.7V and i kno for sure my batterys arent dead.. i disconnected them one at a time and tried and also tried the voltage direct from the H\O outputs same readings all around...and this was after getting off the expressway after about 30minutes of avg. 2.5-3Krpms so they would have been charged if anything... and the fact i havnt been using the system to loud lately either. I also noticed...when my alt is running cold like the first drive of the day it runs a little higher voltage of maybe 15V until it warms up in this case now it runs at about 14.5V until it gets hot and then goes to about 13.7V do you think the regulator setting may have rattled loose from the bass?? lol j\p do u have any pictures or things i can see to find the reg. in my h\o and all. im going to stick the 100A in it for a temp solution while i take it apart and look at it. I may just see if its still under warranty first... but id rather fix it myself if its a quick fix rather then a 2 week wait to get it back.

Silver Member

IL USA

Post Number: 851
on a side note my voltage also drops when i floor the gas from a dead stop, but not when im already driving, like when the engine has the pull effect and it moves a bit from where it is under the hood i watched the alt and all while it does that while in park and it has the ssame effect but i see the alt is not loose or anything.. do you think somthing is loose in the alt. that can be pulling away everytime i floor it and the engine moves? because if the rpms are up and the engine dont move...its fine

Silver Member

IL USA

Post Number: 852
btw the coils didnt look burned at all but i couldnt see all of them from my view with it still in the blazer

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2560
if the alt is still under warrentee i woulndt take it apart. and i think what polo means is to not open up the alt to get to the voltage regulator but there should be a plug that plugs into the alt comming from your cars wiring. that goes into the voltgage regualtor that may be dirty so clean that up.

also this solved my problem what i had something familiure. i reset my cars ECU. so i might try that
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us