I need EVERYONES advice please!

Silver Member
Username: Ars88

Rotti Pit

Post Number: 181
i am experiencing some problems with my sound system right now. For some reason when I put the volume high my subwoofer stops playing or starts to skip the lows..and amp goes onto protection mode...but when i turn the volume back down the sub eventually starts to work again and plays fine until i put it loud again.
at this point i have a
H/U - Pioneer DEH-P5800MP
SUB - Kicker L7 12 Inch
AMP - Kicker 750.1 wired at 2 ohms (if i am correct)
WIRE - 4 Gauge Dual AMP
Battery - Optima Yellow
what is causing my sub to skip beats? it didnt happen when i first installed the system..it started happening about 3 days after the system was installed.
I am open to all suggestions and appreciate it all
thx in advance!

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1707
I'd start by checking the obvious, which are making sure ALL connections, especially power and ground wires are secure. Also make sure there aren't any exposed wires which could cause short circuiting.

Next check that your subwoofer (not sure on it's VC config.) is wired to a correct impedance to the amp.

If all of that checks out, well, anyone else have any ideas lol?

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1708
It might not hurt to make sure the gains are set properly and the amp has plenty of ventilation, just as a side note of possible overheating.

Silver Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL USA

Post Number: 836
check the gain and ohm load... if u do all thats mentioned i think somthing is busted....

Silver Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL USA

Post Number: 837
Remember GAIN is NOT A POWER\VOLUME KNOB use a DMM\VOlt meter and test it

Gold Member

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1712
If I remember correctly, my system did something like that...Right before the alternator died...Just a passing thought...

Silver Member

Rotti Pit

Post Number: 182
LMAO right b4 alternator died...thats really not good well i was talking with a friend who also is into car audio and he told me you need a cap for some reason...is that possible?
and i think i need to b cleared up a little bit on how to get it wired at 2 ohms..if i am correct it should be positive from sub to positive on amp and negative to sub on negative to amp....right? coz dats how i have it wired

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 3491
time for some batts or a new alt or u could just get a big cap lol

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 12 Premier...

Post Number: 10255
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/charging.html

http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/capacitors.html

though i think ur gain is def turned way too high.....

Silver Member

Rotti Pit

Post Number: 183
no my gain is up about 15 percent of the way the most i put it up was about 20 percent up the way..i really need to know how to set up the gain/frequency/bass boost settings
can some1 plz tell me how to set them at the best settings..
sorry for asking such a noob question but i am learning..this is the first 'REAL' system i did and for some reason i don't think its the wiring but i can be wrong.. the ground is good too as some1 told me bcoz i am running another amp and its powering/working up fine so i dont beleive the ground is the same and i am use the same ground for both amps
so plz let me kno how to set up the settings like a 'pro' lol
thanks

Silver Member

Rotti Pit

Post Number: 184
thanks for the link rovin i am going to look into that asap

Platinum Member

1 12 Premier...

Post Number: 10260
here is another link 4u

http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/setgain.asp .....

Platinum Member

1 12 Premier...

Post Number: 10262
bump.....

Silver Member
Username: Caraudio

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 794
15% of the way up? waow thats not evnea quarter of the way and it still bumps?

Silver Member

Rotti Pit

Post Number: 185
ya u think it can be a bad amp? i still have a warranty on it atleat thats a plus!

Silver Member

Rotti Pit

Post Number: 186
i like the link rovin but i got a total of 38.7 volts...now how do i set the gain according to that? do i set up the gain high until it reaches that output? and where do i measure it from? i dont the meter that measuers the volts..but if can get my hands on one i just connect to my positive/negative or something like that? plz b a bit clear on that thanks

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 2813
you can also check out www.edesignaudio.com they have a 5 minute video on using a dmm, really easy to understand. scroll down to news, click archive, and then september.

Silver Member

Rotti Pit

Post Number: 187
alright thanks..i need to know how their subs are i was looking at the 190v2 ..do you think that would compare with my 12 inch kicker l7? is it better or worse? i am more of an spl person..i really need a sub that can hit really really hard and its a really good price..im guessing around 300 no more than 300 i am willing to spend on something that will blow my kicker away but i can still use my kicker 750.1 amp with (which was tested and pushed out 921 watts)

Silver Member

Rotti Pit

Post Number: 188
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us