14.8 volt power vs. 12 volt power

Bronze Member
Username: Mgbcs

Post Number: 25
How many volts would a stock alternator/battery be putting out? I was told that power output by an amp is very different depending on whow many volts it's supplied with. (Sorry, I know this is a dumb question but I just want to clarify.) Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Stnorris

Davenport, IA US

Post Number: 1919
ur amp will put out more power if its given more voltage

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 8233
your car should be putting out upper 13 to lower 14 volts on stock alt.

if you add an amp with a lot of power, your stock alt won't be able to keep it up.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Right, I understand. But how much voltage will a stock alternator and battery send back to the amp? I have seen power numbers for an amp I am looking for both at 12 volts and 14.8 volts.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
OK...thanks Chad!

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2488
it depends on your car. probly 13.8-14v with no big draw. if you turn on the amp and start bumping its going to be pulling alot of current so the voltage will probly drop if you start to max out your alt

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2263
ur amp will put out more power if its given more voltage

This is true if only the amp has an unregulated power supply! Now with an amp that has an unregulated power supply the current draw is controlled by the waveform of the music and the load seen during that time. You can run an amp with all audio settings at FLAT and get away with a stock elec system with around sayyy 1300rms BUT you add BB which lengthens the waveform thus increaseing power draw an the same amp will send you into HO alt city, lol. Polo.. :0

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
OK...thanks for all the help!

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 8336
HO alt city? lolol thats a good one:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts