Over excursion? Please help!

Silver Member
Username: Zoomiebird

Gville, FL

Post Number: 216
since nobody replied to my last thread im gonna ask again. is a set of 30hz FMODs capable of protecting my sub from over excursion? my jbl bp1200.1 only has a LPF, so i need something for the lows. my box is tuned 32.4hz, and it will hold my new Q. are FMODs the way to go?

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2241
You will need a subsonic filter at around 25hz. this is essentually a high pass filter set @ 25hz. This will allow anything above the 25hz mark to pass to your subs. Set you LP dependant on what music you like at around 80hz. I listen to a lot of sloppy bass and jump from presets on my amp from either 65hz-75hz on the LP. A subsonic filter just keeps your sub in check and protect against any types of recording errors (pops) and is generally used in ported enclosures where overexcursion can be a problem. Polo.. :-)

Silver Member

Gville, FL

Post Number: 217
i guess if i get the 30hz high pass filter i may loose the goodies between 25 and 30, but thats worth it if it saves my sub. thanks polo.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 8293
I am pretty sure the BP 1200.1 has a SS filter. It would be labeled HPF or SS filter.

Silver Member

Gville, FL

Post Number: 218
no it only has gain, lpf, and bass boost. the gain goes from 4v on up, and my HU has 5v preouts. should i turn the gain all the way down to 4v?

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2483
actaully james i have that amp and it doesnt have a SS filter for whatever reason

Bronze Member
Username: Goodie_goop

Midland, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 71
hmm wuts overexcursion? dus it happen alot?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 8295
thats odd! you would think that a class D amp with that amount of power would have one. I always thought it did.

what does the gain go to from what to what?volts wise?
over excursion is when you bring the sub beyond it's mechanical limitations.

Silver Member

Gville, FL

Post Number: 221
it goes from 4v to 250mv. if i turn it all the way down to 4 nothing comes out, so i just cranked it to a good sounding level and left it. i will adjust with a dmm later.

Bronze Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 34
You have it backwards Ty.... you cranked it down to 250mv which equals .25 volts. And why would a 5 volt out amp only be adjustable to 4 volts?

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2508
actually brad you got it backwards. 4v is on the left (turned down)

Silver Member

Gville, FL

Post Number: 224
if that were the case brad, why would it get louder when i turned it toward 250mv? lol, the amp is 4v - 250mv, the HU is what puts out 5v. im gonna use the subwoofer tools suggestions on amp tuning once i get my Q. pics will be posted as well. merry christmas and shitty holidays. peace
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us