Sub advice for new install

Bronze Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 25
I bought a 2001 Pathinder LE a few months ago and I am now getting the audio system together. So far I have a Premier DEH-780MP, 32 ft² of eDead v1SE2 for my doors, and the Diamond Audio s600s comps. I am going to power the DA's with an Elemental Nine.2X. I am thinking that this should be a pretty decent front stage for what I am trying to do.

My "problem" lies in the subwoofer. I add quotes because I love this sh!t and it is alot of fun researching and reading about this stuff. I go way back to the old-school, to dual JBL D140's in a van ran off a two foot Zapco monoblock. For awhile there I was dead-set on getting the IDMAX12 for this new rig. I should mention that I want to go pretty much SQ but at times SQL to show off to friends.
Let's not kid ourselves now, most everyone here loves to show off their stuff to others -- it would be no fun if you had nobody to share it with. Right?
Polo told me that lil' rob whacks his 3" pecker by himself while cranking Late Nite Tip on his rig with true joy, but I digress...

I should mention that whatever sub I get will probably be powered by a Nine.1 and be placed in a custom 1 ¼" MDF (all sides) enclosure. I love everything about Elemental Designs, from the personal service (from the owner nonetheless), to the great products at unbelievable prices. Their whole approach strikes me as refreshing. And the forum discount + the factory direct approach makes it even more of a slam-dunk. I appreciate genuine people and products, and I will faithfully buy from eD for many years to come. Ben and Chris rock.

But now I find myself reading this forum (and others) again and reconsidering all of the choices I had gone through getting to this point. You all have to agree that nowadays the decisions can be overwhelming, and there are at least a dozen subs that could suit me just fine.

Here is my list I have whittled down. Keep in mind I am flexible on the amp if it is underpowered for some of these. I just want to have a single subwoofer so I can still have room for my drums and equipment, and have the option of taking it out completely without slipping a disc. I could go anywhere from a 1.25 sealed to a 3.0 vented I am guessing. Cost isn't really an issue, but I would like to keep it under $450 or so for the driver. The cab will cost me around 40 bucks, if I pay him at all, because I was the one who started the guy who builds them, in his business.

Image Dynamics IDMAX 12 D2 V3
TC Sounds 15" TC-3000 +CP (factory is literally 4 miles from my door)
Treo SSX 12 or 15
Fi Q 12 or 15
Elemental Designs 16Ov.2
Massive CW 12 Stage2
RE SX 12 or 15

I know I left out an bunch of potential subs. Any comments or disses on my front stage or anything else will be appreciated, and especially if anyone has experience with this particular truck. Sorry for the long-winded approach, but I am a mod at another forum and I know how freakin' frustrating incomplete questions can be.

Thanks guys.

Silver Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL USA

Post Number: 811
LMAO Polo and Lil Rob in the same line.. i havnt heard those personally but i hear more things about treo ssx being nice for both

Silver Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 468
15" Q (2ohm) in a 3 cube ported box @ 30hz having a nine.1 being thrown @ it

just for you cuz you love ED so much! :D

p.s. dont forget electrical upgrades

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Im pushing i... And pushing ...

Post Number: 2973
your a f@g
but ill get the tc sounds for sql :-)

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Trey4sports

Post Number: 168
if you like pure SQ adleast audition a W6v2, i know this whole forum hates JL but i like the way both the W6 and W7 sound

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 8218
who hates the w6v2's? they are the best sq sub imo.

fi Q would be my recomendation.

Silver Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

SSX, Tenneki US of A

Post Number: 737
Maybe a Mag could be thrown in there too.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2247
BTW, I never said that about LilRob, only god knows if he has a 3" lil pecker, usually reserved for Asians not mexicans, lol. 3 cubes is kinda small for a 15 especially ported. TC's are great subs nice quality BUT usually recommended for sealed enclosures because of there extremely high BL but doesn't mean they are not loud even sealed. If the manufacture is that close I would go that route, I know I would... Polo.

Gold Member

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 8225
hey polo thats 3 and a half inches. don't get that wrong again.

Gold Member

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 8227
for us aaians that is.

Silver Member
Username: Tanmanfosho

C Bang, Hardcore Iowa USA

Post Number: 228
Treo SSX. treo's haev great SPL and still reati tnhier SQ so that'd ne SQL. treo ftmfw

Bronze Member

San Diego

Post Number: 28
Sorry Rob and Polo, I was just playin'.

Thanks for everyone's input. I am surprised nobody mentioned the IDMAX, I have heard them in two installs and they are awesome, especially from an SQ standpoint. And they can hit too.

At this point I think I am going to go with a Q15. Even though I live so close to TC Sounds and I could go over there and pick one up, I just can't seem to get past the accordian surround and the problems they have been having with the cone breakage. The reason (I think) that it has such a high force factor (bl) like Polo said, is because that cone is frickin' heavy for it's size and they also can keep a fairly low Fs. Basically all the CP option offers is a much lighter (50 grams) black aluminum cone that offers better sensitivity but less excursion. 2.5" p2p is still nothing to sneeze at though. But all in all, I just like the Fi better. And then the fact that the TC is more expensive and currently out of stock, the Treo SSX is damn hard to find, and Fi throws in free shipping, Q15 FTMFW!

Now let's say I get the dual 2 Q and throw it in a 3.1 ft² net vented box. Is the Nine.1 going to be enough for this thing? I have seen them bench at 1400+. Doesn't seem to me too many of you are too high on eD, at least in this thread. I got the impression in alot of other threads that they and Ben were very well thought of here.

And if that amp won't cut it, I have a bunch in mind but I would like to hear what you guys think. Thanks again and Merry Christmas to all.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 1436
LMAO CHAD, speak for yourself. Don't forget I'm Asian also mofo.

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio

Post Number: 2701
the idmax is an amazing sq sub i don't know why no1 ever mentions it any more, the mag, q, w6v2, would all make great sql subs, i'd go with the idmax, but its up to you.

Bronze Member

San Diego

Post Number: 30
The main factor in not getting the IDMAX is the $ to performance ratio compared to the others. I could get two Q15's shipped for about a hundred more than the just one ID12. I normally wouldn't care but I am strapped right now with a dozen things.

The Fi Q did real well in bigbassman's continuing 12" shootout. Everyone probably knows this already but if you're wondering, they only can test the subs that people like us and companies send to them. That's why so far there are alot of very good subs yet to be tested. But there were some heavy hitters in there, and the Fi held it's own. I think the notion of some people that the Fi doesn't go very low is out the window now too. Note that it took the crown at 35 and 40hz and also hit a very respectable 128.4 @ 25hz.

http://forum.realmofexcursion.com/showthread.php?t=16182
http://forum.realmofexcursion.com/showthread.php?t=16177

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 12 Premier...

Post Number: 10191
ppl dont mention idmax anymore because they stopped making them a while now since a new model is in the works -ur very lucky if u can get 1 new ...

Silver Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 838
God you guys are always obsessing over p3nis size...why don't you ladies just have a dikk measurement contest and end it lol.

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

KY More Wang Th...

Post Number: 3076
throw the ascendant audio havoc in there brad
www.ascendantaudio.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us