AMP on protection mode --HELP!

Silver Member
Username: Ars88

Rotti Pit

Post Number: 175
guys my amp just went on protection mode after 3 days of use...i have a 12" kicker l7 powered up by a kicker 750.1 and on the third day of installation of amp, it gradually went on protection mode
Did this happen because i was trying to push out too much power or is it just a faulty amp? i didnt have settings set abnormally high...is there any way i can fix it up again or would i have to exchange it for another 1
waiting for response
thx

Silver Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL USA

Post Number: 804
wrong ohm load or gain set to high will burn it out... can be your problem.. disconnect the sub check that power is all connected, fuses... and if protect still on u burned it

Silver Member

Rotti Pit

Post Number: 176
it cant be wrong ohm load from what i beleive its a dual 4 ohm sub and im powering it at 2 ohm...as recommended...gain was set less than half way but i do beleive it might of been the bass boost that i had up about a quarter of the way which probably messed it up...so its the amp thats burned out right not the sub?
the only reason i say the sub might b wrong too is because it sounds like its pushing out a lot more air than it should or atleast thats how it sounds
open to more suggestions/replies

Silver Member

IL USA

Post Number: 807
Is it a mono amp or a class a\b amp? Most a\b amps or 2ch. amps or anything being bridged is minimum of 4ohm stable so if it wasnt a mono block amp or somthing stable at 2ohms, then its likly you burned the amp out, what kind of amp is it.. was it bridged?

Gold Member
Username: Wolfman1966

WEST MONROE , LOUISIANA USA

Post Number: 1377
He said up there a kicker 750.1 which would be a mono amp with 750 watts

Silver Member

IL USA

Post Number: 808
lmao my bad i wasnt paying to much attention im a bit stoned.. is it under warranty? unplug the speaker and keep power to it if protect stays on it easily says ur amp is bustedddd

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., 4000 isnt ev... 100,000dB FU...

Post Number: 229
Too many amps, don't fry 'em!

image/bmpUpload
Too Many Amps!.bmp (0.1 k)

Smallest file EVER.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2242
What Killa said. Disconnect you speaker wire and with a multimeter measure the resistance, it should be close to 2ohms if wireed right. If not, then remove the wires fromt he sub, measure each coil independantly. If you get a substantial difference between coils then the sub is defective. Now if everything there is ok, plug everything in and turn it on. Doing what you usually do, turn the volume up adding the BB BUT while doing this measure your input voltage on your amps at the + and - . If it is below 12v then the low voltage protection is kicking in. What is your RCA input voltage? If all else fails and the amp keeps doing the above, send it in for service. I have a few kicker monos and let me tell you they only shut off when there is something wrong and I have ran my 1ohm stable amps to .5ohms and the 2 ohm amps to 1 ohm for month on 100 deg days without any problems, great amps... Polo. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2243
Andre, that ain't funny! :-O

Silver Member

Rotti Pit

Post Number: 177
lol damn i dont have a multimeter to measure resistance but i am able to go to a shop that i know of and the guy can measure it out for me and let me know..i hope its the amp coz it is under warranty but other than that could the amp be an easy repair or would it be costly?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us