Help me out.. High output alternator problem

Silver Member
Username: Cadillacdb

Houston , TX

Post Number: 965
I bought a HO alt from Excessiveamperage.com a while back and after getting it i installed it and then a little while later it seemed to stop working but i took it to autozone and they said it was fine and then i was just too lazy to reinstall it and try to figure out the problem so the alt has just been sitting around and now im finally going to go back in and attack this problem again because after pulling it out i just reinstalled the OEM alt and left it at that because i figured F it ill just wait but now that wait has become months and months and its time to put this thing back in the car so does anyone have any expertise in this field because its not really my field but im thinking i need a slightly smaller belt to make up for the difference in the size of the pulleys because the HO alt has a smaller pulley then the OEM alt and that leads me to believe that i need to get a slightly shorter belt to make up the difference because autozone tested the alt on two occasions and both times they said it works but i installed it in my car two different times and the first time it worked for a while and the second time it didnt do anything at all but when i put the stock one back in everything works just fine ... i feel like a damn newbie asking this type of question but i dont wanna go back in there and find that im wrong so i figured some one here might have had a similar problem or might know much much more then me about HO alts and common problems associated with them and its time i fixed this thing so help a brother out lol

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 966
also i should probably mention the main reason i believe it needs a slightly shorter belt to make up the difference in the size of the pulleys and that reason is that when the HO alt is installed i get a whineing from the V belt when i turn the steering wheel as if i were maken a sharp turn or just any turn at all but the noise gets its loudest during a sharp turn and the power steering comes in and out so some times i have power steering and then it will fall out then come back and so on and so on, so i believe the belt becomes to lose to turn all the pulleys with enough force so they turn but not fast enough and they slip so i think i need the shorter belt but if anyone has any other ideas please speak up .. thanks

Silver Member

Houston , TX

Post Number: 967
I spoke with nathan about this problem way back when it first showed up and he just told me to send it back to him so he could check it over but then i took it to autozone and they said it was fine so i figured that nathan really couldnt do anything to help me and i didnt send it in to him but now its been sitting around a long time and i need to get it back in the car
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us