Sony Xplode sub is as NOT Sh!tty ...

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 12 Premier...

Post Number: 10164
as i seen how some of u all post about it

- hear me out b4 u all say i lost my marbles

i seen ppl type sony subs\xplode sound like crashing 2 garbage can lids together or beating a bat against a tree or simple just say it sounds like SH!T !

i use 2 take ppl's word 4 it since here in my country u hardly ever see\hear a sony sub (even though we get almost ALL the brands here) - so when i recently got a box building job 4 this 12" sub i was skeptical about it sounding 1/2 way decent even though i make good boxes .

but now that i have a build a super slamming box 4 this sub : i am impressed that it actually sounds quite decent & its def not poo

SQ = 6.5
SPL = 9 ,quite loud 4 a sub rated @ only 350wrms , was shaking stuff here

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/system-showcase/303483.html

not saying go buy 1 but i think i def busted the myth about this sub.

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio

Post Number: 2698
wow you thought the spl was good, i heared a sony sub at wal mart the other day the sq wasn't great but wasn't bad i've heared worse cough audioburn cough, but the spl sucked, you could turn on 2 sets of 6x9's and get more basss than the 12 sony had.

Silver Member
Username: Bump05

We Stay Fly, 18 SX USA

Post Number: 608
see thats what i was saying everyone new everyone thinking and hearing what everone says dont know most people just say and do what they saw on here...i said sony can acutally get loud...but there build quality isnt all the good...common word SONY IS SH!t come on guys u gotta have them work with them then u can talk...they actually can slam but the quality is not all that great overall i wouldnt buy one but i cant say there sh1t and wont get loud good point rovin :-)

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2212
They are sh!t and Audiobahn is to Sony what Treo is to Pioneer... I would take an old sschool Pyle over a Sony Xplode anyday.. :-O Polo..

Silver Member
Username: Gh0st_31

FL USA

Post Number: 111
I personally think amplified 6x9s have more bass. A buddy of mine had 2 xplods and it was ugh. Another buddys type-r 6x9s seemed to have more bass to me?

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Nj US

Post Number: 2188
^^^^

Platinum Member

1 12 Premier...

Post Number: 10166
well in a store hardly any subs will sound good due 2 the environment & yes SQ is not gr8 by any means but acceptable

SPL was quite surprising (note its a slot ported box with a generous port area i used - secret* specs!-lol)

ya SPL choice u fully understand what im saying

Old skool Pyle subs were quite good along with alot of other old skool subs/amps as we all know ....

Silver Member

We Stay Fly, 18 SX USA

Post Number: 610
what are u talking about lol^^ wehre did the r's come from for one...and polo thats nice of u for saying there sh!t...thats neat and all im not backing htem up i dont like sony no but they can get loud if ur a good box builder anything can get decently loud...and the sonys do get loud in a good enclosure giving proper watts they dont get real real loud but for first timer cheap and decent who cares no need to hate

Platinum Member

1 12 Premier...

Post Number: 10167
oh ya - i also got to hear some Xplode 6x9s in this same car whose owner i built that box for

SQ was bleh but did get fairly loud .....

Silver Member
Username: Oglejust

RE SX, USA, Il

Post Number: 555
i believe with the right install a sony xplode can get loud and sound decent however ppl that dont know wat theyre doing is wat ruins sony's rep. i built a box for 2 12's that sound good and get kinda loud. but then theres a kid in town w/ 2 10in sonys sealed in like .5 cube boxes and they arent loud at all and they sound like sh*t. so it all depends on the install.

Silver Member

We Stay Fly, 18 SX USA

Post Number: 611
^^exactly. :-) people just hate to hate its ok and most people just hate cause everyone else hates (when they really dont know what there talking about its just the rep)

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2214
Sony sounds like this!

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 2190
all in the enclosure

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 8178
you just need something to compare it with rovin. take that sony sub out of that car and stick your type r in there. you will know then that the sony sounds like sh!t. lol.

Gold Member
Username: B101

DD, RE, FI, TREO, KICKERUSA

Post Number: 4073
Rovin, what you are likeing is your enclosure, NOT the sony sub!! :-)
I keep tellin people any sub can sound good in a grrreat enclosure.. even pyle... lol

i have done a install with 4 12" sony explodes, and it prob wanged harder than 50% of the guys so called equipment on here, off of a bs sony amp at that!! I know they get loud and sound halfway decent, but anything pass their limit is poof... build quality is far from fit!! I still wouldnt buy or recomend them!

Ive had a couple customers, swear up and down... but if he had let me put 4 TSX 12s in there, he would have CRYED like a baby!

Platinum Member

1 12 Premier...

Post Number: 10172
hope u all understand the whole point of this thread

Xplode wasnt pure sh!t like ppl say online & i bet other ppl say the say thing without even hearing 1 - its 1/2 way decent & gets quite loud in a well build enclosure (in fact any sub will)

same thing i keep reading online ppl saying about pioneer\premier subs which is sooo incorrect - not the best sub in world but by no means sh!t as ppl say

my post never rec any1 buying a xplode - but i will say if some1 gave u 1 free or u get it next to nothing , give it a chance /build a good box / power it sufficient & let it pound

I wasnt comparing apples to oranges - so i think i made my point clear now ......

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2217
But you also have to understand that Sony Xplodes aren't worth the time or effort building and enclosure for weather it be well built or not. We are just trying to save people time and money wasted, get a decent quality sub and it will sound even better. People won't laugh at you and you would be proud to open your trunk to show them. Sorry my time is worth a lot of money to me and others, waste it on a Sony, I THINK NOT... Polo.

PS- I ain't even wasting my time on a SSX, I had Terry build me a box, lol.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 8184
i know exactly what you are saying rovin. i've heard some sonys and they aren't that bad. i was just saying if you were to put your type r in that same car than you would really know the difference.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5812
Sony has a bad rap and it's not a myth. They earned it by producing very low quality over and over. They only care about the bottom line.
As for your test, replace the Sony with any low quality crap and it'll sound decent in a well designed box. Unless you have highly trained ears, just about any bass will sound good until you do side by side comparison. Lot of the times, the bass you hear from low brands, is really not music, but distortion/clipping. Depending on the songs, it could get quite difficult to distinguish.
I'd personally never buy Sony crap.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2220
Ohhh I got you Isaac, 98% of us here have "trained ears" meaning our ears have training and they are smart, knowing what is crap. I guess the other 2% of ears need to be taught and are not so smart yet, lol. Polo.. :-O

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 1820
ive heard 2 xplods and i hated them. just my opinion tho

Gold Member
Username: Stnorris

Davenport, IA US

Post Number: 1918
i think even with an ok enclosures sonys can get loud and sound pretty good just like a kikcker cvr.

Silver Member
Username: Zoomiebird

Gville, FL

Post Number: 209
i am ashamed to say i had two sony xplodes for a short time. one xploded, the other i sold in a "professional Q-Logic box" to a local dude. ill never buy sony again.

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Nj US

Post Number: 2196
Hell, I bought Visonik, Urban Audio, pyramid, ect in the past. Consider it a cheap education.

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 1842
well im glad i came here before i bought anything. i ended up with a nice first sytem.
my education was free here

Bronze Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 21
The reason Sony car audio stuff is crap is because they DON'T CARE about the market. That's how Sony has always been. If they truly believe in a market segment and think that high-quality equipment would benefit them and others, then they jump in like gangbusters.

Look at the professional video and production equipment segment. Sony makes some of the best gear in the world. Look at CRT tube technology, same story. They lost valuable ground in the LCD market but they are gaining steam every month. And some of their ultra high end audio gear such as their SACD players are very highly acclaimed. I am not talking ES, I am talking their esoteric audiophile stuff. Their laser assemblies and optical products are also very high-end.

Bottom line here.... Sony jumped in to the car audio market as a "me too" provider because they saw there was profits to be made on cheap, flashy looking subwoofers and amps. And if delusional people like the thread-starter continue to gobble them up, they will continue to do so. They never implied that their car gear was greatness, in fact they know it is, and market it as, entry-level.

I am absolutely positive that if Sony, for whatever reason, decided to make some serious, money-no-object car audio gear, they would deliver some seriously great things.

Lastly, I don't want to hear the "You must work for Sony" crap. I don't have anything to do with them and I agree with everyone here that says their car stuff is crap. I just basically wanted to make the observation that it is pointless to buy their car audio gear, and almost more pointless to argue with those who do.

"We aren't descendents of the fat and slow cavemen that got eaten by the dinosaurs.... we are descendants of the quick little f!ckers that made it back to the cave." Gallagher

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Im pushing i... And pushing ...

Post Number: 2971
^^^^ im totally with ya man, sony is all about home ,portal and gaming product also their computers are superb they have the best laptops the vaio, sony is still the king of electronics why??? because sony have shares with ibm, toshiba, samsung and panasonic and hugeee more more, well i think sony owns toshiba samsung and panasonic,but i know for a fact that sony owns jvc :-) well im saying that nobody its gonna beat sony, in car audio market well yeah sony dont care about the car audio because not all people have cars and most of them still have the factory sound, and yes they get profit but too much, sony have to pay around 1 dollar or less for each sub because the process of building of a sub its really cheap, the complicated stuff its designing a chip like the cell processor they wasted alot of money and alot of time building that processor, since microsoft supported the hd-dvd sony is juzz focusing in takin those companys, they juzz partnered with apple and alot of more manufactures, and the biggest hollywod studios so its for a fact that hd-dvd its not gonna succed.

sony had the sxrd technology with 1080p resolution since like 3 years ago and is still considerated the best tv but u cant get it because its one of the most expensive tv's of the world they have the best technology on them and probably u never heard of them because it was only available for important people or special ocation each tv cost around 20k.

we have to give some applause to sony because of they have give us alot of technology and they have some pretty cool gadgets like the location free,and they were the first company to risk and put the cd format alive on a gaming machine and succeded and now we dont go around and bring those ugly bricks that we used to play with.

if u have time u can build an enclosure for a sony sub yes it will be cool but u can build same box with another sub and will be 2x impressive 2x.

lilrob.:-)

Silver Member
Username: Astrosafari

Delhi, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 626
i was in a friends ford focus, and he had 2 10" xplodes in the back, i had no idea, and it sounded good, i thought he had some thing good in the trunk, it wasnt loud, but it sounded real good. usually bass sounds harder at the front of the car? i was in the back seat, and it was very nice. then he pops the trunk and says yea i got 2 sony xplodes and im like wow, those arent good, he says cant say what you dont know.
so how come theres no videos and stuff of peoples sony stuff going bad? and pics of what happend while they were jammin? no proof to show sony are crap. i still wouldnt buy it due to all the rumours... and probably just because i can get better.

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

The biggity biggity BAY, California USA

Post Number: 1471
ive heard one old aS$ sony sub.. it was a circular sub, before they got all flashy and it was in a sealed box in a friends van. it sounded quite good, and quite loud for a 250-300w sub. i never hated on sony, but maybe the flashy sony subs suck. i havent heard those.

Gold Member
Username: B101

DD, RE, FI, TREO, KICKERUSA

Post Number: 4079
ASTRO buy all sony then... :-)
they live up to that name... Explod!

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 8292
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH B that was priceless:-)

Silver Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

SSX, Tenneki US of A

Post Number: 743
hahahaha.

Bronze Member
Username: Chevyfan502

Post Number: 47
well my opinion is yes, some sony sh** is horrible, such as the ones at wal mart, complete garbage, but the better p5's like the ones in crutchfield arent that bad if u make the right box...saying this because i have them lol...and ive heard jl, alpine, cerwins, among other brands....and have 2 dd's on the way here in a couple days to go along wit my nine.1....yes they arent great but they take way to much crap for what they are....that amp B lit on fire is complete crap 2 looks like wal mart garbage but the better sony amp out of crutchfield isnt to horrible either, they took alot of crap for overheating fast, but ive used one and ran it for hours and never had a problem...but yea the only thing that i like of sony that i still say is pretty good is their head units...so thats my 2 cents

Silver Member
Username: Aman2005

Patiala, Punjab India

Post Number: 378
hey B proved that sony is EXPLODing...

Silver Member
Username: Astrosafari

Delhi, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 630
man, you didnt even do a number on that thing. fill it with fire crackers or sumthin... or atleast burn it untill theres nothing left. im not saying im gonna go buy a bunch of sony.. i have had my experiences with em. but i was suprised at how good it sounded in that car for just being sony.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

FTW

Post Number: 9611
all i'm saying is "Crap in...crap out" :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us