Understanding Q's,1-2n,1-2w, hz? need help!!

Silver Member
Username: Motomattic3

Post Number: 366
Ok so I was on my way home from work today messing with my stereo while driving and I came across a screen that I've never seen before. I started pressing buttons and seeing readings like F-1k:Q1n or F-12k:Q2w not knowing what the hell it was I decided it was time to pull out the manual on this thing and take a further look into what I was dealing with. But all I got from it was how to adjust it not really knowing what they were for or how they affected my music. So that's why I'm posting. anyway its a pioneer premier DEH-P480MP I know what Hz are and that lower Hz(40) is a lower tone than higher Hz(1k)but I don't know how it effects it or changes over the high, low, mid ranges anyway here are the specs of the Hz. and Q.

Low: 40-80-100-160(Hz)
Mid: 200-500-1k-2k (Hz)
High: 3k-8k-10k-12k (Hz)

And the following values can be added to the above

2n-1n-1w-2w

Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, CA USA

Post Number: 9
OK let me see if I can explain this simply. A Q Factor is basically a setting that adjusts how much, or how little, frequencies both above and below the frequency you select, are also affected.

In other words lets say that on the low end you choose your frequency as 80Hz. A narrow Q setting (in this case 1n and 2n) will alter the nearby frequencies (50Hz and 100Hz) less than the wide setting (1w and 2w). They are pretty unclear as to what the diffences are between the 1 and 2 settings but my guess is that they are slightly different skirting configurations. One is more narrow than the other.

On the wide Q setting the controls mimic the Q curve on a home receivers tone controls and give an overall pleasant effect. But if you know what frequencies you want to go after more directly, you can set it to the narrow mode and go from there.
Hope this makes sense, it's not an easy thing to put into words.}

Gold Member
Username: J_baby15

Kentucky

Post Number: 1049
I've been wondering that myself. My HU has that setting and i jsut never messed with it, it dint seem to sound diff. to me.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 8229
the F satnads for Frequency, the number after that is hz, and the Q is the slope of the boost. Kind of like a x-over slope 6db,12db,18db,and 24db roll off.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us