Trunk rattling solution

Bronze Member
Username: Coreyl

Post Number: 20
when i turn my sub up to moderate level, my trunk would rattle like crazy. I heard that installing dynamat would solve this but its a bit expensive. Is there a cheaper alternative?

Bronze Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, CA USA

Post Number: 15
eDead from Elemental Designs. There is a "forum discount" link around here somewhere too if you search for it.
http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=52

Bronze Member
Username: Coreyl

Post Number: 21
thanks. how many sq. feet would i need to do the trunk?

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 2745
order about 75-100sq. ft. and you'll be good.

Silver Member
Username: Motomattic3

Post Number: 375
another alternative is to take out the sub lol

Silver Member
Username: Dsmith07

LaGrange, NC US oF A

Post Number: 366
i bet the edead stuff is the exact thing as dynamat except it just wont have " dynamat " on it..err dont u hate having to pay for a name?

Bronze Member

San Diego

Post Number: 17
You're right Derek, and in some cases, such as heat resistance, I believe that the newer eDead is even better.
I don't really look at this as Dynamat being way overpriced, I look at it more like they were the ones who made a huge market for this stuff, and they have a certain recognition factor that some people like as far as the name on the aluminum backing. "Ooooooo you got Dynamat!.... nice!!" So this puts them in a leading position and allows them to get more for their product.
It is not too much unlike tucking your shirt in so everyone can see the fancy "Calvin Klein" label on your jeans.

Username: Carpentb2

Post Number: 3
how does dynamat and edead actually make it sound better? how do they work?

Silver Member
Username: Homegrowncam

Funky Town, TX United States

Post Number: 350
i could be way off but i believe how it works is that it sorta traps the sound in sound the car instead of sending it through. like its putting up a barrier wall. i would like to know more on how it works!

Bronze Member

San Diego

Post Number: 20
Basically what it does is adds weight and density to whatever it is adhered to, therefore lowering the resonant frequency of the object to where it (if done correctly) is no longer an issue. Sheetmetal is especially a problem because it is thin and prone to flexing issues.

It also seals in the sound like Cameron says, but more importantly, it seals sound OUT. The difference in road-noise in a good install is amazing. The less extraneous sound you can hear, the better your system will sound.

It wouldn't hurt to fill up the hollow areas of your trunk lid and other areas with expanding foam, flatten it out as best you can, and then eDead over the top.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us