I was just thinking about it

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 1621
...and when i finally get my stuff installed, hopefully this week but dont count on it, ill have about 1200rms . 105A stock alt. i sit in traffic everyday to school for about 10 min, now i wont be blasting it but ill prob have volume at about 1/4 to 1/3 up. it wont kill my alt/battery or anything doing this right? or do i need to turn it down in traffic when im not moving much? or does this have nothing to do with it?

also, at the end of the school day, i sit in my car not moving, car on, waiting to get out for abuot another 10 min, if i have it at the same volume level again, it wont hurt anything right?

in a nutshell, what are the do's and dont's of this? i have never had a system in my car and i would like this one to last me for a while and not kill my battery/alt? so please someone just explain the do's and dont's for me. thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 12 Premier...

Post Number: 10136
if u play @ 1/4 like u said temporary until u upgrade - i dont see why not .....

Silver Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 429
just watch ur voltage guage...if ur dropping like hardcore when it hits, then u should probably turn it down until u get above idle RPMs

Gold Member

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 1632
whats this voltage gauge? where do i find it?

and when im driving no the road, its straight to give it osme more volume? is that correct?

and when i do get a bigger alt, it'll be straight to play at higher volume when im just chillin there with the car on and the car in park or is that still a no-no?

Silver Member
Username: Bump05

We Stay Fly, 18 SX USA

Post Number: 557
Once u upgrade ur electrical u can play it with the car off if u want.. u can drvie sit mess around pick your nose do anything thats what the upgrade is for...if it didnt do any of that i wouldnt even invest in an upgrade lol

Silver Member
Username: Jemone

Stone Mountain, Georgia United States

Post Number: 176
Hey to calculate your car amps current draw u take the total amount of rms watts which in ur case is 1200. U multiply it by 2 to account for amplifier inefficientcy= 2400 watts. u assume the average alternator putts out 13.8 volts and divde by this which is about 174 amps. Then divide this nimber by 3 and your system draw should be about 58 total amps ,so u should be more than cool with ur stock alt. This does not mean not to upgrade.

Silver Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 430
u dont have a voltage guage in ur car? what kind of car

Gold Member

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 1634
2005 scion tc, im sure i have one, i just havent noticed it. the only gauge i look at in my car is the mph. other than that i honestly dont know what other gauges i have.

and jerome
awesome, thanks. im still not sure if im gonna upgrade yet ot not. im gonna see how it goes with the stock alt and go from there.

Silver Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Post Number: 140
Not all cars have voltmeters on the dash, some just a light battery symbol that comes on when there is no output from the alt.

That appears to be the case with you car, I got this from google image search:

Gold Member

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 1636
awesome, yea i only look at the middle to see my speed. and occasionally the gas gauge.

so if the battery light comes on, it means turn it down, right?

Silver Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Post Number: 141
Well it depends on how the battery light is wired in your car. If it comes on when the voltage is 12 or less, then yes. If the light stays off as long as there is current flowing from the alt to the batt, then no. I have seen cars with it both ways. My truck has both a voltmeter and a light on the dash and when the voltmeter drops to 12 volts with the engine running the light does not turn on. It does turn on when the engine is not running (no output from the alt) and also turned on when I had my alternator fail.

You could perform a test by connecting a DMM to your battey terminals and playing your sub full blast with the engine at idle. When the DMM shows the voltage drop to 12, look to see it the battery light is on.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2359

quote:

Hey to calculate your car amps current draw u take the total amount of rms watts which in ur case is 1200. U multiply it by 2 to account for amplifier inefficientcy= 2400 watts. u assume the average alternator putts out 13.8 volts and divde by this which is about 174 amps. Then divide this nimber by 3 and your system draw should be about 58 total amps ,so u should be more than cool with ur stock alt. This does not mean not to upgrade.

jerome you dumb a ss stop giving out bad info that is incorrect.

yanks if your running 1200rms class d it will be pulling around 115amps max. so if you dont run it more then 1/2 till you get a new alt you should be alright.

if you have a DMM run some small wire to your batt then to inside your car and attach the dmm to it so you can see your voltage while driving

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Nj US

Post Number: 2103
Jerome, I think you just got "JACKED UP"!!!

Silver Member
Username: Dsmith07

LaGrange, NC US oF A

Post Number: 332
i dont wanna jack a thread but i guess i will since it would be kinda pointless to make another one abut the same exact thing but what size HO alt ( if any ) would i need to run a jl 500/1 and diamond 12 d6 idk what size stock my car has now its a 95 dodge stratus if somebody could link me to a site to find out or just tell me it'd be nice and appreciated :-)

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2367
search on autozone.com to find your alt size.

a 500/1 should draw 48 amps when at full power. so you should be fine with your stock alt. if you have some dimming or voltage drops do the big 3

Silver Member

LaGrange, NC US oF A

Post Number: 333
i think its 90 amps...but they had a 140 for like 250 shipped...is that a good price for the size of the alt?

Silver Member

LaGrange, NC US oF A

Post Number: 334
on my old car 95 chevy lumina 3100 v6 i had the dual bandpass box and my lights dimmed and i know the d6 and 500/1 is way way way better than the duals so does that mean my lights would dimm cuz in theory wouldnt they put a bigger alt on a v6 versus a 4 banger?

Gold Member

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 1638
alright, that sounds good. thanks mat dope

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2372

quote:

i think its 90 amps...but they had a 140 for like 250 shipped...is that a good price for the size of the alt?

nope i just calculated it again and its 48amps. so you should be fine with a stock alt. and who is that alt. from? price depends on your car really my 150a alt cost 300shipped but it really does 180a
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us