Hole in rubber part of woofer

Bronze Member
Username: Coreyl

Post Number: 17
i accidentally poke a hole in the rubber part of my type r mid woofer while trying to mount it into the door. It still sounds ok but I can slapping sound when playing songs with heavy bass (or maybe im just hearing things). Anyway, is there a way to patch the hole up? I heard that you can melt plastic from milk bottle to patch it up. Would this work?

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1064
I did the same thing with one of a pair of woofers I bought several years ago. I sent an email to the mfg and told them it arrived like that. They said no problem, just ship it back and they'd send a new one.

But anyway - what I would probably do is buy some black or clear rtv, and use a toothpick to apply it to the crack. Rtv should retain some flexibility once it cures. Melted plastic would harden and I would think it might cause that area to wear quicker than it should.

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1206
either that or some kind of rubber sement. mabe some rubber gasket sealer (mabe).

hey were you using a power drill when mounting it and slipped , so it went through the speaker. i did that once sucks. i had to cut the hole out bigger so i could fit 6.5's and since the holes i cut were bigger i had no holes to screw into so i was using self tap screws and well u know what happend next the first one came out fine but i got a lil cocky on the second one, haha.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1207
they prolly sell repair kits with a special kind of glue now that i think of it because your definatley not the first that did that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1208
http://www.simplyspeakers.com/speakerrepairinstructions.htm

mabe somthing like that.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
haha i'm supprise you did the same thing. These type r mids are a b*tch to install.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
black rtv works like a charm. great solution, thanks.

Username: Guismo

Truro, MA US

Post Number: 2
My old Science teacher builds his own amps and speakers and he once said that he has used (clear nail polish) on a tare once. I how ever am not too sure how flexable it would remain? or if it is abunch of bull or not.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us