Dynaudio 360 or focal utopia 3 way

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 7940
any opinions?

i am using the focal utopia 2 way right now but i want to upgrade to a 3 way system up front.

between the 2 which has a stronger upper bass response.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2300
iv heard good things about the dyn. set but iv never heard to much about the utopias, how do you like them?

Gold Member

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 7952
they sound great. i love them but i want a 3 way setup now.

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Post Number: 2499
The Dyn 360 or the 340?

Either way, it's apples and urnches:-)
Both taste great, but I like personally like oranges.

The 360 hands down imo (8"). Dyns are warmer and much more transparent than the Focals. Both are very detailed, but the Focals don't disappear into the environment like the Dyns. They are much more in your face. Particularly with the highs and the midbass you referred to. While both of these can be equed around, they still won't be as neutral as the Dyns.

With specific regard to the midbass...the focals are aggressive and punchy, while the Dyns are warm and, using a friend's perfect adj, "airy." It sounds to me like you would favor the Focals. I went with Iridiums bc they are somewhatinbetween. But knowing what I do now about components, I will likely never buy a prefab comp set again. I'm doing all DIY 8ohm home audio separates. Much better sound, in that their's is not as outdated as the technology of most component sets.

I would also consider the SEAS Lotus. I understand they put both of the above to shame. Also consider Morel's offerings, Polk SR's, Hybrid Audio Legatias, or the new Pioneer PRS series. Particularly if you favor exceptional midbass extension.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2500
...oh yeah, you wanted a 3way set

omit the latter remarks.

Gold Member

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 7986
thanks mikechec9. i really like the way my utopias are sounding. the mid is great and the tweets are very clean sounding.

i've heard the 3 way utopias and i like it but i felt the upper bass wasn't too strong. ima afraid my btls will drown it out.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2502
If it's output and low-end extension you want, then clearly go with the 8". It should blend better w/your subs. Keep in mind though that a good eq will go quite a ways with regard to shaping your sound. And with the added drivers in a 3-way comes the extra task/burden of placement and tuning. I wouldn't personally run a 3-way passively. Not enough control for such a diverse number of drivers.

Gold Member

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 8022
i would run the 3 way off my audiocontrol 6xs cross over. i wouldn't use the passive xover that came with it.

this is the equipment i have to work with.

audiocontrol 6xs and eqx.

the 6xs has 6 inputs and 8 outputs (you probably know that). the front channel splits in to 90-3500hz and 3500hz and above.

i would connect the woofer to the subwoofer part on the 6xs (i would change the ssf chip to 60hz). then i would get a lpf chip that is 250hz. then i will change the 90-3500hz chip to 250-3500hz chip. that will be used for the mid. then the tweeter will run off the 3500hz and above output.

i will buy a jl 300/2 to run the woofer and the mid and tweeter would run off my jl 450/4.

the subwoofer would just run straight from the eqx low pass and will be set at 60hz.

the speakers would output from the full range output from the eqx to the 6xs.

i hope it will work out like that. i gave it alot of thoughts in to this and i really feel like it will work.

if you have any other suggestion on how i can do this, i am all ears. well actually all eyes. lol.

Gold Member

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 8024
btw mikechec, i know i am using the btl's right now but when i am ready for the 3 way comps, i will either add another 12w6v2 (cause i already have one right now) or a single 15 inch fi Q.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2503
Chad, I'm confused.
You already have your low end overpowering your front stage MB and you're adding more subs?

I would wait until you get that lovely quality Dyn set up there and see how you like the blend with the 8"s. I suspect they will be more than enough.

Gold Member

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 8029
lol. sorry about that.

what i was trying to say is i would cross the dynaudio 3 way like this.

woofer 60hz-250hz
mid 250hz-3500hz
high 3500hz and up

that will run off my audiocontrol 6xs

my subwoofer would be crossed at 25hz-60hz off the audiocontrol eqx.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2505
You might be a taaad ambitious with that 3" mid. The MD 140 won't do too much below 600-700 Hz...400 at best. My DLS IR-3 is a front runner as far playing low, but even they only reproduce down to about 315Hz.

Domes vibrate, they have no excursion capabilities. This is why the 24 to 31Hz slope was necessary for me, particularly with the power I supply them. Shallow slopes tend not to cut off as much of the low frequencies.

Gold Member

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 8049
well i can get a 600 or 700hz chip for the 6xs for the mid.

so it will be...

woofer 60hz-700hz
mid 700hz-3500hz
tweeter 3500hz-up

does that sound better?

i really don't want the subwoofer to go above 60hz. that is why i was looking for a 3 way comp that will play the 60hz and above freq strong.

i am afraid it will vibrate the hell out of my doors though. i guess i can deaden it like crazy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2506
"i really don't want the subwoofer to go above 60hz. that is why i was looking for a 3 way comp that will play the 60hz and above freq strong."

Then, again, I would personally go with the 8".
The woofer in the 2way is most always going to be the same woofer that's in the 3way.
Unless you go with a DIY set where you find a woofer that is particularly healthy/robust in the lower regions and then select a 3-4" that's more capable of articulating the mid-range without breaking up. That is, most go with a 3way for the extra benefit of the midrange, not the woofer. After-all, it's the mid-range driver that's extra.

With regard to the XO frequencies, it really depends on the environment/car. Once you get it in there and fiddle with it, you'll find what sounds just right to you in your particular application.
I'm still changing locations in my ride and swapping out drivers.

Gold Member

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 8052
i see what you are saying now. the 8 inch would give me that stronger low-mid to bring out the sound in my car.

and the extra mid would more fine tune the higher frequencies.

best way i can think of doing is make a temp box out of thin mdf and place it here and there. then get a rta and see what frequecies are stronger than others in my car with the eq curve flat.

as far as how i am gonna cross the freq will depend on how my car accoustics respond.

Gold Member

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 8054
btw how much power to get the dynaudio 3 way moving efficiently.

this is what i was thinking.

jl 450/4 for the mid and tweeters.
tweeters 75wrms x 2
mids 150wrms x2

and another jl 300/2 for the woofer.
150wrms x 2

do you think i need more power?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2507
Nope. Dead-onballs accurate

Gold Member

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 8076
thanks for the help mikechec9.

hopefully you can give me some more help when i actually do get them.

btw after your recomendation on some other brands, i find this one to be really impressive. its a 2 way so if i feel that 3 way might be over my head, i might give this one a try. its not too far from where i live so i can get a demo.

http://www.mobilesq.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=163

Gold Member

Post Number: 2512
Superb.
But I wouldn't pay a G for them. Not when I could get the Polk SR or Pioneer PSR for considerably less.

600.00 has always been my personal limit on components. I allowed 700.00 just in case I ever got a chance to install a set of (the previous model) Lotus. But that limit has decreased considerably taking into account diminishing returns and knowing what I can do with sets of great performance at significantly lesser cost.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2513
Pioneer PRS, that is
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us