Should I wire 2 ohms or 8 ohms?

Hey everyone,

I need everyones opinion. I have an earthquake 2000 watt amp/ 300 watt peak. I am going to run a JL 12 w6 v2 sub on it which is wired at 2 ohms. However, the person at the store said I should wire it at 8 ohms so the sub will last longer. Which should I do? Stay with the 2 ohms or go for the 8 ohms wiring? If I do the 8 ohms wiring will this affect the performance of the sub? I heard the sub in its 2 ohms wiring and it sounds good. I am afraid to change wiring because what if it sounds like sh*t after I wire it to 8 ohms. Thanks.

mark

Derek
If you wire it for 8 ohms the amp will have an easy time driving the woofers. Wiring it for 2 ohms will be louder. If your Earthquake is a two channel amp, break the bridge and run the voicecoils with thier own channel. That will be the cleanest sound you can get.

If you your amp says that it is stable to 2 (or better 1) ohm, keep it as-is.

Hope this helps.

Louis
Running the sub at 8 ohms will recuce the watt output of the amp coz the more the impendance the less the watts. Do what Derek said and believe you me your trunk will be vibrating like something else!!

Daniel
If you wire it to 8, your amp probably wont be able to put your bass to sound like they should. So DO NOT change it,cuz if you do it you´ll get a poor sound
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us