Box Port

Bronze Member
Username: Derick06

Texas, Rio G... United States

Post Number: 39
Some time ago I read in a Kicker manual that every time you build a ported box and you bend the port at 90 degrees you should add half of the port's width to the ports length. Is this true? Im having trouble with this. Every box program that I use says that the port lenght should be at 27.75 inches but I've still got in mind that I should add the 2 inches. Can someone clear this up for me.

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Bump05

We Stay Fly, 18 SX USA

Post Number: 389
so your port is 4 inches wide right?
so measure the depth of your box lets say... 20 inches in example then u go back 16 inches to leaving 4 inches from the back and continue with the remainder of the inches left going the other way on the 90 degrees

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
yes i know that but, lets say that you calculate the port length to be 27 inches long, kickers manual says for you to add half of the ports width, which is 2, to the ports length. so now I get a 29 inch port. Is this right or I shouldn't add the 2 inches. You can see kicker's manual on their website.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_kebo

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 879
good question ive heard this also.

Silver Member
Username: Bump05

We Stay Fly, 18 SX USA

Post Number: 420
i would just do the tuning specs for the port forget about the kickers extra 2 inches that doesnt make sense..seems like it would tune different...imo i would just leave it at 27 inches long

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4439
if your depth is 20 inches, and you go back to 16 inches, thats not 4 inches.. you have to take into account the wood thickness, so you would have to make it 14.5" long, so that you have 4" for the port width.

what i would just do man, is just use subwoofertools.com and it does ti all for you, i have heard that too from the kicker manual, and im not sure sure about it. jsut use subtools.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4440
i meant 20 - 4.75 (cuz your only subtracting the back baffle width, so 15.25 you would make the port length. but this just goes along with the example that spl did, if ur box was 2o inches in width

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
yeah the kicker manual got me confused. I went ahead and not added the two inches.
Thanks for the help
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us