Recomendation for subs with a JL 500/1 2 w6 or 1 w7 or other?

Username: Gharari

Post Number: 1
Hello all: I'm a NOOB to this board but not a noob to car or home electronics.

Today I tested a bunch of JL Audio sub enclosures in the trunk of my Subaru WRX STI sedan. I hooked them up to my newly installed JL 500/1. I liked the SQ and SPL of the 12" W7 ProWedge the best, although it is too tall to fit properly in my trunk, otherwise I would just buy one.

So, what I was thinking was hooking up one of the following sub setups to my JL 500/1 amp. What would you recomend based on my sound preferences and amp?

1) sealed enclosure with one 12w7 woofer

2) sealed enclosure with 2 12w6 woofers

3) ditch my 500/1 and get a bigger amp and use one of the above

4) something entirely different (please explain)

Please also give me your recomendations on what impedances to run and what voice coil configuration to buy. Also, if you have suggestions on where to purchase the enclosures and subs, that would be helpful. Thanks in advance for the information!}

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 7722
well the w7's are much louder, booomier subs then the w6's. The sq of the w6 is precise and highly detailed. If you like the w7 in the pro wedge then go with one sealed. If I were you I would get in on the SI mag group buy that is going on here and run a SI mag 12:-) it will get louder then the w7, and have better sq and is cheaper. With the mag you can run the 500/1 but it would be nice to step up to the 1000/1.

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1145
based on my preference i would choose the 500/1 on the 2 w6's but i think that only 500 on 2 of them is a bit to little i would get the 2 w6's and add on another 500/1.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 3336
that is not enough for 2 w6s

Post Number: 2
what would be a good alternative to the W6's using the 500/1?

Post Number: 3
James, I am having no luck searching on this board. Is there a trick to it? I consistently get no results.

Can you post a link up to the group buy?

Bronze Member
Username: Longbluesquid

Post Number: 96
ive heard a 12W7 with a 1000/1 watt amp in a Camaro and it was unbelievable it hit soo loud and clean...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us