Battery Question

Silver Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 330
I'm running about 1500+ watts rms with a 200 amp alt.

I have a yellow top but im currently using my stock battery under my hood. the yellow top is simply chillin in my garage.

I was wondering what if any advantages would i get by using the yellow top, is it possible to run the yellow top with my stock?

I just have general questions - also would yellow even be my best bet - i run my system with the car on only obviously.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5761
Get an isolator and connect both battery to it. Then wire all power hungry items to the yellowtop.
Now you don't have to worry about killing the starter battery.
That is what I have in my car. I can play the system till it dies and still drive away.

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1452
Or just simply use the yellow top...thing about isolators is they still dont help when the car is on, and with a normal battery, if you drop the voltage below 12.6 it's going ot damage the battery, and it wont hold as high of a charge.

Even hooked up with a yellow top, too. Then, when the battery wont hold as high of a charge, its going to do two things..

1. Be a constant draw on your yellow top when the car is on - and the batteries are connected.

2. Be a constant draw on your alternator, as it'll keep trying to charge the battery.

Also, about what Isaac says... completely draining the yellow top, then driving away.. Well, this is HORRIBLE for your alternator... I mean, it's not going to destroy it right away, or anything, but recharging a dead battery like that is rough on your alternator, and I wouldnt recommend doing it very often.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5764
Seth, isolator does help on all situations. I have Orion MBR70 and with engine on, it'll utilize both batteries. With engine off, it draws current only from the deep cycle. I don't see how this won't help him.
Under normal usage, the starter battery will not fall below 12.5v cause the amp will be getting it's power from a separate yellow top. Also, since the 2nd battery is close to the amp, it can get 2gg - 0ga ground as well as pos, thus yielding more current. A typical car's chassis is equivalent to 4 ga.
The example I gave was to point out the safety of having an isolator in multiple battery configuration.
Since music is dynamic, 200A alternator will have enough current left over to recharge the yellow top as well as power his 1500w amp.
I know lot of people prefer to by-pass the isolator cause it's an extra expense/work, but if you love listening to music and want the safety, I highly recommend it. I also use the 2nd battery to give people boost during winter without sacrificing my starter battery. In fact, the deep cycle powers just about everything in my car.
If you're going to do something, do it right the first time.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Friday, Str8t to the Gentlemans club

Post Number: 2777
insulators are BAD, they will make wta they do yes but they will make u have voltage drop iraggi alternators dont recomended and excessive amperage tooo dont get them those are BAD for you

Gold Member

Post Number: 5769
Lilrob have you seen Orion MBR70?
There are other products that work similar to isolator.
I don't know if you remember GlassWolf, and few others that are into car audio has them installed.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5770
missed out "he and" on the sentence. See what happens when you type fast.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2184
hey isaac you seem to be good with batts. what do you think of this https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/298901.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 1457
LilRob, what Isaac is referring to, is more like a relay type alternator, and these do NOT cause voltage drop. The kind of relay you're talking about, actually completely isolates both, not only when the car is off.

and Isaac, if you idle a lot, at high currents demand, it's not that hard to over the course of a few days, have a pair of batteries discharged, even with the output when they're charging... 1500 watts RMS with a 220 amp alternator, though - and yeah, he should be more than ok.

Keep this in mind...
To fully charge a yellow top from drained, it would like 6+ hours on an alternator.. You can drain one a lot faster than that.. So you might be slowly charging it as it's discharged slowly...but all in all, with lots of idle city-driving traffic, you could end up doing it over a period of time..

Then, once it reaches that point, it'll be recharging/dropping below the safe point, quite a bit. Eventually, you might even see your electronics cut off. momentarily.. This is what happened to me, but I was pulling 3800 watts RMS at the time, on a 200 amp alt.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5772
Seth, that's why I have 200A car charger in my garage. I periodically top up my starter and deepcycle. This will ensure me that I'll always be able to start my car.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1459
Isaac, that's the *perfect* solution, and something I recomend to anyone at least a couple times a month, that has a car audio system with a lot of draw. :-)

They are awesome, will help save your alt from charging them up, etc, etc... So, yes - with one of those, in your situation (or even in the posters, with 1500 RMS and a 220 amp alt) is awesome.

I'd agree with you 101% on getting one of those and periodically topping off.

Silver Member

Post Number: 336
so out of all of this... Im getting i should just replace the noraml battery under my hood now and put the yellow top in its place?

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2186
yes

Bronze Member
Username: James3146

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 65
I recommend you use this. Then if the battery is too low it wont hurt the alternator.
Upload

Also NO alternator can put out its max at idle. They need to be going 5000 to 6000 (ALTERNATOR ROTOR RPM) before you will be able to get the maximum rated amperage. With that said when you drain your battery that far down and you dont have something to make the alternator stop maintaining it then all you are going to do is burn up the rectifier or a number of other components in the alternator. Alternators are not chargers they are maintainers. If you auxillary battery cant start the car then it needs a real charger.

Tomorrow I will post a picture of an alternator I got back. He used it as a charger.

Silver Member

Post Number: 346
i heard yellow tops are bad for starting? o well i guess when i go back home ill put the yellow top in

Gold Member

Post Number: 1460
Yellow tops arent bad for starting, perse. THey're not considered a starter battery, however, they'll start any modern vehicle I know about with no problem whatsoever.

Silver Member

Post Number: 348
so should i notice anything different with this yellow top lol

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2192
the only thing that will be different is it can take a little more of a beating

Bronze Member
Username: James3146

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 69
This guy said he would drain one battery down on the trail, and then drive home with the good one. He used an isolator and burned up the alternator.
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 5778
That guy deseves a metal for being an i-d-i-o-t.

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2205
that sucks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us