Non carpeted car = extra rattle?

Silver Member
Username: Pitbullguy

Chicago, Illinois USA

Post Number: 154
I'm currently drivin a crown vic police cruiser...after the police retire these cars, they strip em, carpet n' all. the floor in the car and trunk is just bare i dont know how else to describe it.

i've been told that the carpet in most cars acts as a natural sound dampener...is that true? should i be hesitant to put bass in a car like this? would there be all kindsa rattling and poor sound quality?

Silver Member
Username: J_baby15

Kentucky

Post Number: 983
Theres prolly gunna be come extra rattling. y not Edead or dynamat it?

Silver Member

Chicago, Illinois USA

Post Number: 155
y not spread a layer of peanut butter over the whole interior too in case i get hungry jordan how bout that? :-)

This why i wanna sell this puppy and get an suv with carpet like normal cars...don't really wanna mess with all the dynamat and sh!t especially when the system ima put in isn't even gunnna be all that powerful where i should have to worry about rattling.

2 assassin 12's pushed by a zx750 ??

Silver Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 325
migth as well edead since the first step is done for you...strip lol

Silver Member
Username: J_baby15

Kentucky

Post Number: 985
lol. i c. man that sucks that theres no carpet in the whole car. Idk how much of a rattle there would really be, but i kno that after i added my dynamat it sounded alot better/clearer. Is there no where you can get the replacement carpet pieces? Maybe u should jus hold off till u find an SUV.

Silver Member
Username: Livin_loud

18 of Love Fi Audio

Post Number: 731
yeah the hardest part is out of the way lol, you actually have it good if you decide to deaden it, which you should anyways...

Silver Member

Chicago, Illinois USA

Post Number: 156
okay so lets say i decide to "edead" the trunk...what exactly is involved in that process?
Does it glue to the floor/walls of the trunk..is it permanent? removable? how much approx. would it cost?

Silver Member

Chicago, Illinois USA

Post Number: 157
also forgot to ask...what does the final result look like? anyone can show me pics?

Bronze Member
Username: Brettnickle

Post Number: 59
i dont have any carpet in my trunk either because i took it out to put edead all over and couldnt get it back in and it sounds alot better with the edead and no carpet but it doesnt look better so now i have to buy new carpet somewhere

Silver Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 326
what it looks like depends on what material u used, but generally after u edead it, u put the carpet and paneling back on lol. in ur case i guess u could leave it as the deaden or soemthing lol

Silver Member
Username: Timothy_314

Post Number: 302
2000CrownVicP.I. how much did you pay for that car??

Gold Member
Username: Drsmith

Montana USA

Post Number: 2009

quote:

y not spread a layer of peanut butter over the whole interior too in case i get hungry jordan how bout that?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ROFL i that had me goin for like 5 minutes just picturing that

Silver Member

Chicago, Illinois USA

Post Number: 158
y you wanna buy it timothy? i bought it for 5,000 knowing it needed work...i've put 3K under the hood (with paperwork to prove it) and it is running smooth and FAST!!!

I'm open to offers for anyone who is in the chicago area.

It's a 2000 with a 4.6L V8 and only 71,000 miles (low for a car built to last a quater million miles.)

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 1276
yeah those police cars come fast. I always wanted to get the SUV Police cruiser bc I heard they come with a supercharger and other mods. www.auto-interior.com has cheap prices for carpet, you can either get the carpet with mass backing which is like sound deadener or without it.

Silver Member

Chicago, Illinois USA

Post Number: 159
hehe i bet the suvs are really hard to find. I got a great deal on mine becuz i bought it from a friend who sold it cheap cuz he just didn't wanna put in the work/$$$ it needed.

Thx for that link Berny...the crappy interior is one of the big reasons i wanna sell it...now you got me thinking maybe i just need to put a lil money on the inside now stead of under the hood.

That mass backing would be awesome cuz it would take care of the carpet and sound deadening in ONE JOB!!! question though...those carpet packages don't include carpeting for the trunk right? i would assume not.

Gold Member

Cambodian

Post Number: 1287
Usually the price does, for the whole carpet in my car with mass backing it cost about 300 bucks. Thats including seating areas and cargo area which is the trunk in a suv kinda thing. So just read carefully and you'll see. Why not just buy some edead and do the floor ahead of time =). 50cuft or so shouldn't be too much.

Silver Member

Chicago, Illinois USA

Post Number: 160
you're saying i should do the edead AND the carpet with mass backing? i thought the mass backing had the same effect as the edead.

Gold Member

Cambodian

Post Number: 1289
but it can only do so much! The mass backing sticks to the carpet, not the car, so theres still potential for the metal to vibrate. What the mass backing does is blocks the vibrations from coming through so strong. So edead is still a good idea to control the rattle/vibrations.

Silver Member

Chicago, Illinois USA

Post Number: 161
well i'm only gonna be runnin a system with like 8 or 9 hundred watts RMS...like 2 12" assassins. so in your knowledgeable opinion mr. berny sir :-), do you think the edead would be necessary? or just a bonus?

Gold Member

Cambodian

Post Number: 1290
Well I thought you were the guy with two DD95's so nope not necessary then =). It'll be just fine.

Silver Member

Chicago, Illinois USA

Post Number: 163
believe me berny...i WISH i was the guy with two DD95's :-)

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Friday, Str8t to the Gentlemans club

Post Number: 2776
becarfull using edead plz

Upload
Upload
Upload
some pleople dont use it correclty :-) i wonder who?????????

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2178
why not just carpet your car. i did my whole car under 75$ with that foam stuff that goes under the carpet too
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us