Whole SQ system....what do you think about this?

Silver Member
Username: Dmm2005

DD Audio ORION, Warren Count... USA

Post Number: 280
Im thinking about changing my setup to purely SQ and saving up towards a mustang. How does this sound.
keep my deh-p780mp
kicker zx700.5
one of my DD 1012as sealed in about 2.5 cu.ft.
cdt comps up front
infinity kappa co-axs in the back

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Stonerville, Ohio

Post Number: 2558
sounds good, only thing is if you want a better sq you might wanna look at the AA atlas, not saying the dd is bad but the atlas is considered by most one of the top sq subs, AA is seeling off the last 15's too put it in the 2.5cf box and they will sound great, i should know since i own 2.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 10037
i dont think DD rec their subs being put in sealed boxes

get maybe a 12w6 instead 4 some real SQ ......

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

FTW

Post Number: 9268
it is like the natural Car Audio Evolution.

stock~~~>SPL~~~>SQL~~~>SQ.........

Silver Member

Post Number: 282
lol your pretty much right muddy...im trying to get a sports car and i dont want to weigh down the back and i dont need a rediculously loud system anymore ive proven my point. I just wanna get the 4 12s mic'd and ill be happy. The main reason i was thinkin about the DD is since i already have them it would be easier than trying to sell all of them and starting from scratch.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 3313
cant go sealed w/ dd

Silver Member

Post Number: 283
would it sound good ported tuned to around 33 hz? would the bass be pretty tight?

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 2591
port them high like dd recommends. you'll be surprised at how good they still sound compared to other subs that are tuned high.

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1201
So you want a SQ system, huh?

First of all, you have to identify to yourself what SQ is.

Is it just some really clear tweeters that dont scratch your tympanies, and/or some mids that arent drowned out by the subs or tweeters? Or are you talking about some subs that dont just vibrate your seat and flex your roof averaging 60 Hz.

Ya this may sound funny, but to most it is a reality. SQ is so easily misunderstood, and almost always abused.

To me SQ is a flat response. Bar none.

This means that you will hear exactly the same sound as if you were standing right in front of whatever it is that was previously recorded, without actually ever being there. :-)

Take todays most popular 2.1 set up in car audio for instance;

What kind of sound stage do you have? This means, where are your speakers (components) located? Do you have rear fill? Does the cars interior affect a natural flat response, if so, how? Does your bass sound as if it is coming from your sub which may be located in the back? Are any of your speakers faster or slower responding in comparison to the others? Does your system sound in or out of phase? Did you know that most (over 99%) recordings do not transfer a flat response?

Just thought I would throw these out there for ya. Hope this helps you achieve your SQ fantasy.

I know I ve tried many times to get perfection, and well, I always ended up compromising, lol. oh well at least it sounds better than off the rack sales pitches, lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 284
good points. If i get the mustang i want, it will be 5.25 comps up front that are lower down in the doors, 6x8s in the rear deck and most likely a 12 in the trunk. Possibly kick panel speakers as well but im not really sure. The goal i am trying to acheive is a well balanced sound where all bass is tight and the response is quick. I want the system to get pretty loud but remain clean sounding. I am used to running just SQL and SPL systems so any advidce is welcome.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 1944
i'd dump the 6x8s for a 6" component set.. don't forget the component amp.. did not see one listed

btw.. i replied in the for sale section about the SX 15

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Friday, Str8t to the Gentlemans club

Post Number: 2728
i dont recomend you kappas with cdt, kappas have the tweeter too hard and with the soft of the cdt it will unbalance the sound, get a pair of nice polk audio speaker for backs and they will keep up with highs and mids with the cdt's

lilrob :-)

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 3586
w6, i'm with rovin on this one

Silver Member

Post Number: 285
would using components in the back make that much of a difference over high quality co-axs?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1946
i'd actually suggest just using a good midbass driver in the back.. then pair it with a great front stage..

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Friday, Str8t to the Gentlemans club

Post Number: 2731
midbass in back will not sound as good as having some coaxials or compoenets that can get low and provide good highs.

the polks will get ya some nice midbass and awesome highs, and price is great

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 3315
in reality in a mustang there is no reason why even need s\any rear fill just get a nice set of comps upfront and then ur one sub in the back sealed and ull b happy but if u feel the need id get another set of comps for the back same type as the front not good to mix speaker types especially if u want to go for sq cause they all play a diff sound and what not cause there not the same speaker

Gold Member

Post Number: 1949
if your seriously into SQ.. you will need some type of rear fill unless you have a truck.. then you might be able to get away with it. you don't need much just enough to be hear slightly. you want to be more concerned about your staging up front.. i'd suggest some kick pods unless you want to re-work your door panels :-)

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 7516
Agreed Charlie:-) Unless you are in a large car/suv there is no need for rear fill especially is perfect imaging is what your goal is. In a perfect workld you will need time alignment and a excellent front stage all time aligned to hit your ear from the front at the same time, as if you were standing at a concert. A good component set and a w6v2 sealed will be fantastic, trust me I have run this system for a long time and was nothing but happy:-) another sub to try in a small sealed box would be a ID max or a SI mag.

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 3319
ya im going all sq and thats why im going with my dls iridiums and a mag sealed in the back but i have a 00 eclipse reason im not running rear fill is cause its a very small car.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1954
hmm.. Idk how'd you compare the inside of my jetta to your car but I consider my car small and had an SQ judge do a run through on my car..

he said I needed a little rear fill but needed to concentrate mostly on my front stage. as far as staging in my car.. its not too bad.. just need to bring it inwards more but it is at least ear level :-)

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 7520
the thing with SQ Kevin is it is different for everyone. That judge might like a little rear fill. I agree with a little bit if it is time aligned properly.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1957
just enough to be heard :-) .. staging is everything though so I'd really suggest some kick pods

Gold Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1206
Jettas are great for SQ as far as interior shape is concerned, but I'm not too crazy about the front stage stock "locations".

Gold Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1207
BTW, a girl at church asked, "whats the thing with guys drivin jettas?" LOL :-)

Silver Member
Username: Devastation101

Audioque SD2.5-ville, HENDERSON, NC US of A

Post Number: 369
Hey Goin Deaf, call me when you see this. I want to talk to you about that amp

Gold Member

Post Number: 1959
i was going to get a VW GTI VR6 6spd .. but when I got quoted 400 for insurance I said the hell with it.. at the time it was either the Jetta or a Mazda6.. and well I'd rather have a Jetta. Personally I don't much care for the car but it gets decent gas mileage which my truck certainly did not :-)

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

FTW

Post Number: 9275
i agree with Mixneffect 110%.

SQ to some people is a completely different beast than it is to someone who has heard a lot of systems, or likes a particular sound from a set of tweeters/mids/etc.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Fi AudioBTL

Post Number: 7566
nooooo going deaf. a very wise man once said "life begins at 150db".

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 10041
^^^ & i wonder who said that ........

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2114

quote:

cant go sealed w/ dd

why not charile, i ran my 3512 sealed in 2 cubes. iv also talked to some people on the dd forum who have ran DDs sealed with no problem. only reason i sealed mine is i wanted flat response and didnt car about loud although it got plenty loud

and goin deaf man why not hop on bord with the SI MAG group buy one of the top SQ subs

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 1549
another sq sub to look into is the Boston G5.

Silver Member

Post Number: 287
i really thought about the group buy but i dont have the money right now to get a sub and save it...i want to be sure im getting the car before i do all that stuff. and id like to sell my 1012s first too.

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 1550
do you have pics of your 4 DDs?

Silver Member

Post Number: 288
here are some pics jake
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/295564.html

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 3321
not saying u cant just saying there ment for ported i mean of course its possible just the sq would still be better in a ported box cause there not made at all for sealed even ask the dd tech theyll tell you that

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2150
hmm yeah i can understand theyre made for ported boxes but i dont see how thed give you bettter sq in a ported box because your still not going to have a very flat responce opposed to sealed

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 7602
Hey Jale, the g5's are fantastic subs:-) I almost bought one recently to run in my truck.

Silver Member

Post Number: 291
i havent heard boston's subs, but i really like how the boston pro components sound.

Silver Member

Post Number: 292
maybe i should go on overhaulin and get a boston system and my car pimped out lol

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 7607
they are very nice, they get nice and low in small sealed enclsoure's also:-) SQ is top notch

Silver Member
Username: Tremor1127

Post Number: 523
the boston g5s sound awesome sealed. one even sounded good in a pro box made for camaro...

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 7621
was it ported? I have never heard them ported but I know Boston doesnt reccomend it.

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

IRL

Post Number: 721
Anybody wants to state that Boston G5 would sound better than these:-)?
http://www.seaslotus.com/subwoofers.asp

Well Boston is finally doing the shorting ring (only one though) on their VC's, that's progress:-), about fuking time:-). However, Seas is still out of their league:-)

Muddy is 100% right about the "car audio evolution":-)

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 7627
I have never heard the seas, I have head good things about them but never heard personally. I have heard the G5 on many occasions and it is very nice.

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 7628
yeah seriously, when you first start all you want is loud, then loud becomes annoying and you want loud with detail, then as you get older detail becomes crucial:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us