Better or equal to JL 500 for lower$$$

Silver Member
Username: Motomattic3

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 163
I was woundering what is better or equal to a JL 500/1 I want it to run 400 or 500watts @4ohms. I'm looking for something around $250 or less.

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 2567
you can pick up my pg xenon 400.1 for $150 shipped. it'll do 400w from 1-4ohm. let me know if your interested. email me landerfield@sbcglobal.net

Silver Member
Username: Motomattic3

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 165
Nah Im not looking to buy right now I was more curious than anything thanks though

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1306
in a word, Nothing. Unless you find a used Zapco on ebay. But very unlikly to find a quality amp that puts out 500 at 4 ohms for under 250. 500 At 4 ohms means an amp capable of say 1500 or more at 1 ohm. Now your talking 400-500 for quality.

Silver Member
Username: Mygame5982

Comp Vr H-TOWN, TEXAS US

Post Number: 812
memphis prd500.1

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1307
Hey Jim, the memphis prd500.1 is only 500 at 1 ohm. Kyle is looking for 500 at 4 ohms. Good try.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1308
MMats SQ2125 is 400 at 4

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 3506
a 2 channel bridged usually puts the power at 4 ohms

Silver Member
Username: Qcsfinest

Charlotte, North Carolina

Post Number: 306
I have a 500/1 for sale if anyone is interested....
Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Jeromebaker

Post Number: 25
A fosgate p8002 will put out about 900 watts rms @ 4ohms, and they usually sell for around $300 shipped. Of course, it'll be about twice that if you buy it from a car audio store.

Bronze Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

Post Number: 89
I have to agree with marc. You will most likely be looking for a 1500 watt amp @1 ohm because most are around 500 watts @4 ohms. I know this can't be compared to ANY JL amp but the Hifonics BX1500D is 500 watts rms @4 ohms at 14.4 volts. It is close to your price range. I have two of these amps and paid $227 each shipped. They are decent amps and you get the power for the money. The crossfire VR1000D is also a good amp. It says its 250 watts rms @4 ohms but at 12.4 volts. More watts at 14.4 when you have a good alt.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
Sorry , the "Crossfire VR1000D" is out of your price range but is good quality. You will most likely not find an amp better than JL for your listed price. You are going to have to compensate by either a higher price range or less quality and name. Just my opinion.

Silver Member
Username: Qbenjamin

Florida

Post Number: 111
Hey, are the new Fosgate amps any good? I can't remember the model I had about three years ago but that MOFO kept overheating like every 30 minutes. I think I might have had it for about a week before it went up on ebay.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
Old Fosgate was under rated and new Fosgate is over rated. I had a old Punch 225.2 and that sucker had a birth sheet of 712 watts RMS Bridged (don't remember the ohms this is @ but prob 1 or 2 ohms). Then I got a newer punch 100.2 and i hooked it up and it started on fire after 30 min. It was only running 2 door speakers. Extreme crap! would never buy the 100.2 ever again I am not sure about most recent Fosgate stuff but old is good and in between old and most recent is crap.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
Old Fosgate was under rated and the Fosgate in between the old and most recent is over rated. I had a old Punch 225.2 and that sucker had a birth sheet of 712 watts RMS Bridged (don't remember the ohms this is @ but prob 1 or 2 ohms). Then I got a newer punch 100.2 and I hooked it up and it started on fire literally after 30 min running at 4 ohms. I still have it laying in my basement. It was only running 2 door speakers. Extreme crap! would never buy the 100.2 ever again I am not sure about most recent Fosgate stuff but old is good and in between old and most recent is crap.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
Sorry for double but can't delete first one. Just changed the first sentence a little bit because I haven't had any of the most recent or "new" Fosgate. Once again sorry for the first of the double posts!

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 3543
i don't think new rockfords are overrated, maybe their quality isn't top notch but the t 2000BD puts like 2800w rms!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Fosgate makes a 100.2?
Smallest I remember was the 2002.
Anyway, the newer models are not underrated. At all.
Fosgate is very strict with their power ratings.

That said, the new stuff, punch in particular, leaves much to be desired when compared to their older stuff in terms of durability.
And they heat up a lot when wired below 4 ohms.
WIre em at 4, especially bridged, you're good,
otherwise they get hot.

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
This is older stuff. The 225.2 was about 10 years ago and the 100.2 was about 7 or 8 years ago. I said that I did not have any current Fosgate stuff. I am talking about amps that are over 5 years old. I don't know about the "Current to 5 year old" Fosgate. I mentioned this previously, please read carefully.

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
Yes Jerome, Rockford made the 100.2 a long time ago. It is very old and I still have the "blackened" & "Burnt" version in my basement.

Silver Member
Username: Dsmith07

LaGrange, NC US oF A

Post Number: 266
im getting the jl 500/1 soon...its on lay a way and im payin on it, to my knowledge there might be none or few amps that meet or exceed jl audios quality.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
I see. I only hear good things about most older fosgate stuff.

...JL is top notch in all aspects, it's also
generally top dollar. I'd reccomend it if you can afford it.

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1439
Phoenix Gold Xenon 600.1's can be had for $200-$250. And at 1-4 ohms, they're 600 watts.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us