Are all Capacitors created equal?

Bronze Member
Username: Deathshadowbal

Post Number: 13
I am looking at Power Acoustic capacitors and see that they are rated for a much higher farad (5+) then the much more expensive Rockford Digital capacitors at only 1 farad.

Is there a difference with capacitors? Who makes a good quality that won't break the bank (under $150 online for 2 farad)? Are the all pretty much the same?

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 3490
pa 2.5 i think is good for the money. Do you have a ho alt?

Bronze Member
Username: Qbenjamin

Florida

Post Number: 88
I have the PA 2.4 farad, I bought it maybe three years ago, and it has been in three different cars that I have had, it is definitely worth the money. I paid about $100 for it. Don't spend more than $120 on it brand new though. Also, the only down part was that it took a long time to get it's initial charge, like a couple of hours.

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Post Number: 2473
It depends most largely on the cap's ESR/Equivalent Series Resistance rating.
You only want a capacitor to have...well, capacitance. Hence the name.

However, all capacitors have conductors with a series of resistance. If the resistance is not really low (.000...), the cap is useless. Which it may be anyway w/o an adequate charging system.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I don't have a HO Alternator - the stock one in my truck puts out a stable 14V+ all the time with the system on. I also have an Optima Yellow top under the hood - she helps a lot. I am not interested in a capacitor to "compensate" for a HO alternator as the current electrical setup is doing just fine.

I was interested in a cap to deliver power quicker to the amps when needed. Just looking for some information regarding what makes a good one.

Bronze Member
Username: Qbenjamin

Florida

Post Number: 97
Sorry doug, the only one i have ever had is that PA 2.4 farad.....With stock it works great.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2012
look into a kinetik HC800 or 600 can be had on ebay for less then 130shipped. way better then any cap youll ever buy kinetikaudio.com for more info

Silver Member
Username: Motomattic3

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 162
wouldn't an optima battery be the same?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
I think a capacitor would dump power much quicker then the optima.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 3511
just get a HO alt

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 4274
batts > caps

there ONLY useful if you have the adequete charging system, period.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us