How to Permanently Bypass the "Brake Feature" on the Dual XDVD8181

Username: Espoman

Post Number: 2
http://www.espoman.com/bypass.htm

I hope it helps! Please let me know if it works for you.

Username: Bigshawnn216

Post Number: 1
I have the same player, i just got today, i installed it and grounded it from the radio harness ground, it didnt work at first, so i disconnected the unit and reconnected it, restarted the whole car, then went to factory settings an reset the factory setting, popped in a dvd and its been playing ever since.

Username: Stryker2you

Post Number: 3
I created an account just to log in and comment on this thread. (well i'm posting to 3 threads about the 8181 with this same message)

I purchased the dual xdvd8181 and have tried everything EXCEPT for the pulse switch. I didn't feel like going to radio shack. I tried entering the "factory code" but that does not work. I then tried doing the factory reset from within the menu options...that too does NOT work. Finally I tried (a few times) to do the "yellow wire to ground 10-15 times" and that DID WORK. This is what I did.

I turned the car ON...not just to ACC.
I turned the 8181 OFF.
I found a good ground point on the car (somewhere without paint, I used the bolt on the door hinge).
Took the thin yellow e-brake wire and rapidly touched and removed the wire from the ground point 10-15 times.
Turn the radio on and insert DVD. It worked like a charm.
However, when I did this there was NO sound on the DVD (only video), all I did was turn the car off, turn the radio off and turn everything back on. As long as the yellow wire stays grounded the video will play great...if you remove the yellow wire you get the blue screen right away.

If you do this, you do so at your own risk. Check with your local and state laws to find out if watching video while you drive is illegal. I consulted the CHP and the officer (rather right or wrong) told me he could not find anything in the code book saying it was illegal.....but don't take my word for it, check first. I use this strictly while parked only...I just wanted to see if it works.

Now, I have a question for someone....in the options menu there is an option for Screen Saver ON or OFF. For the life of me I can not find any screen saver on the system and one never comes on....does anyone know about that? Also, I heard that you can connect your IPOD to this system and be able to control the songs on the 8181 screen...NOT the IPOD. I have tried everything and it does not work. Can someone help me?

Also, is there any way to get backgrounds or screen savers on the 8181? it sucks looking at a NO VIDEO SIGNAL message when listening to my IPOD.

thanks
stryker2you@gmail.com

Post Number: 4
Sorry, I forgot to mention that it was Stevens website that helped me :-)
thank you

Username: Packabo

Post Number: 1
i have the same unit the 8181 dual what do you guys do with the white/brown reverse wire from the harness?? is it another ground?? i'm gonna install as soon as my dash kit comes.

please help

Post Number: 6
I didn't do anything with the reverse wire....however, that wire is (at least to my understanding) for a reverse camera. You can mount a camera (sold separately) to the stereo and when you put the car in reverse, the screen automatically changes so you can see behind you. I've actually thought about doing this.

Post Number: 2
hey thanks for the info...do you know if the reverse wire is a ground or positive? that might be a cool thing to have

Bronze Member
Username: Espoman

Post Number: 13
Should be a positive.

Post Number: 7
Anyone possibly have an answer for my IPOD question or the screen saver question? thanks in advance.

Post Number: 3
i heard that the 8181 can not control the ipod on the screen but the new dual 8182 can.i have not hooked mine up yet still waiting for harness and mounting bracket to arrive
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us