Defective JL audio amp symptoms screaming sound?

Username: Efjohnny

Post Number: 1
Hello this is my first post.

I Installed a new 300/4 JL audio amp and having some problems with the front right channel on the amp. I wanted to verify the amp was fully functional so I wired a speaker and checked each of the 4 channels.

All the the channels worked perfect expect for the front right channel. When hooking up the speaker to front right channel I get a loud screaming high pitch sound that will almost make you deaf. Sometimes a little music comes through and pops a few times and then that death ray sound comes.

I don't want to take back the amp until I am sure this is the problem. Anyone familiar with the symptoms I just described. Sounds like a bad channel in the amp to me? The speaker worked in all other channels expect for the front right channel. Is it common for JL audio amps to be defective like this?

Bronze Member
Username: Jeromebaker

Post Number: 22
Did you buy the amp second hand?
Perhaps it was involved in a drive by,
and is now haunted by the ghost of someone's as$ who got capped?

J/k, sounds like a bad channel.
It's happened to me on a couple rf punch amps.
I don't think JL is known for that.

Bronze Member
Username: Qbenjamin

Florida

Post Number: 80
Sounds like you already know what's wrong with it, and from what your saying, yes, that channel is blown. Take it back ASAP. Don't play around with something that isn't working right, and also don't hook anything else up to that channel, usually when 1 channel goes bad, the others are sure to follow. Have it checked at your earliest conveience.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 9953
sometimes a crappy RCA wire will also cause that annoying screaming sound so check or replace that 1st then see what happens .....

Silver Member
Username: Motomattic3

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 145
did you check and make sure that your speaker wires to the speaker are not grounding out on the frame. I had that happen to me one time.

Post Number: 9
Rcas were changed out several times no difference. The same set of speaker wires and speaker were used on four channels when I tested it. The other three channels works fine with the speaker. So it can't be the speaker wire. It can't be the RCA because I had the amp on two channel mode and the rear right channel would be defective as well if the RCA was bad. But I did change the RCAs. Has to be the amp I am convinced nothing else.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 3503
well, then send the amp.

Silver Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 588
or take a dump on it and show it how you really feel

Gold Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1370
does it make the noise with the rca wires completely unplugged from the amp? if so then yes, send it back.

Post Number: 10
The noise come from the speaker when hooked to amp. The amp never made noise itself.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I took back the amp
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us