Yet Another 6.5 Thread...

Username: Balthazar_b

Post Number: 1
Looking for more recommendations.

Car: MY05 Honda S2000
HU: Alpine 9857
Amp: Alpine PDX4.150

I've listened to several speaker lines, most of which didn't do much for me. Of those I've heard (in showrooms), the Focal V.Slim and a Dynaudio component set (sorry, don't recall the model#) were best/most versatile. Also have listened to various MB Quart, Alpine, A/D/S, Morel, Pioneer, JL Audio. I'd really like to listen to the Polk SR6500 and BA 6.5 sets, but I've found the dealer listings on the mfr sites are incredibly inaccurate (what's the matter with these guys? don't they want to sell speakers?).

Now I realize an open roadster is not the ideal listening environment for subtlety, but I want some speakers that are reasonably good and mate well with my amp. I'm going to be Dynamatting the doors, and would like decent mid-bass. I should add that I'm going to add some S-Pods (speaker enclosures that attach to the roll bar and take 5.25" components) for high-speed fill. I'm not considering a trunk-mounted sub yet, and won't do so until I've optimized the cabin.

Budget? Maybe $500-$600 for the 6.5 components, and much less ($100?) for the S-Pod speakers.

Thanks for any suggestions/discussion!

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

IRL

Post Number: 689
I am not going to explain for the 150th time why you should NOT get rear spks (S-Pod), just forget about them and add the $100 to the 6.5 budget.
BTW, what Morels did you listen to? If you liked Dynaudio you should have liked Morels as well. Morel is one of my very favorite:-). If you get Hybrid Ovations or Elate and power it properly you will get great results.
MB Quart - they do not sound natural, I've tried a few sets in my trials.
Alpine - only F1, the rest are not great at all.
A/D/S - great for the money (if you buy it on Ebay)
Pioneer - forget about them, they only make nice HU's
JL - IMO is not a high end speaker manufacturer.
Polk - there are better sets than that.
BA - DLS Iridium is much more accurate for the money.
Focal - costs waaaay too much for what you get.
What I must say - if you like very realistic sound (some people don't like it believe it or not) then go with Seas:
http://www.seaslotus.com/referencerange.asp

It's hard to find a dealer to listen to them in the U.S. But those indeed are some of the most accurate drivers in the world.
They would have less harmonic distortion and a more accurate response than Morel, Dynaudio, Focal (at the same price range) and all the rest on your list.
And please be so kind and don't just take my word for it, take a look at this home driver (8ohm) test and see what kind of manufacturer Seas is and what speakers it's compared against.
You will never see crap like JL on these kinds of tests:-)
http://www.zaphaudio.com/6.5test/

Enjoy the music and don't by into cheap mainstream marketing crap:-)

Username: Balthazar_b

Post Number: 1
Hi, Maris:

Thanks for your comments. The Morel I heard was one of the Ovation series (but I can't recall if it was Dotech or Hybrid). I thought them less detailed than the Dynaudios on the wide range of music I tried (having said that, I realize that the way the crossovers were set up could have been crucial, as well as the fact that they were in a showroom rather than mounted in a car -- or more specifically, my car).

Regarding the Iridiums: Has their woofer construction (non-press paper) proven to be a problem with respect to durability or having their sound affected by changes in humidity?

As I mentioned, the JL, Quart, A/D/S, etc., didn't do much for me.

Finally, re. the S-Pods...I don't know how much you drive in an open car at 80mph, but a little sound reinforcement from the rear is a very nice thing. Takes away the fatigue from listening to a turned-up system where all the sound is coming from the front.

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1027
chill out with the jl bashing

they arent that bad, they arent bad at all

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 9956
i like DLS comps .....

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 3079
dls iridiums lol i just bought some only 450 shipped on ebay

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

IRL

Post Number: 705
Balthazar,

DLS Iridiums are made for car use, they will be just fine with the humidity. DLS have been making speakers for a while now, they know what they are doing:-)

Hmm, that's different, 'cause I found Morels (Hybrid Ovations) to be very detailed.
At last - there is no fatigue if you have high quality drivers, amps and HU. In some cases your ears will start hurting before you will feel fatigue:-), that's how clean and pleasant it can sound. That's why you have to be careful and watch out not to damage your hearing with a great sounding high end system:-)
Enjoy the music:-)

Joseph,
"aren't bad at all" - don't mean sh:t:-)
BECAUSE::: here we are talking about high end drivers and as far as I can remember "not bad at all" does not mean "high end" so just chill out and enjoy your hi-fi JL's and let us talk about true audio signal reproduction:-). And BTW, why didn't you go to defend, say, MB Quart??? They sound better than JL's so you should have defended them:-) Do you work with/for JL or something??? LOL:-):-):-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us