Why are people so cheap when buying amps???

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

SubBassMidBass

Post Number: 8883
i just don't get it...

someone help me with this one.:-)

Silver Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 260
quick...fix

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1018
some are ignorant
some are broke
some are both
some are well-informed and good shoppers

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 3448
i like budget amps

thanks to lanzar, hifonics, PA, new soundstream.

lanzar optidrive line

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 10309
when i tell people stuff like save...they think im a azzhole....

Silver Member
Username: Naledge503

Working on a secret pr..., Oregon USA

Post Number: 592
^^^^LOL.....I used to think you were...until I realized you were right.

Its so much easier and CHEAPER to just save and get the right stuff the first time.

Silver Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 539
agree

Gold Member

Post Number: 3453
i'm broke

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1021
I learned a lot through my days of nickel and diming my way through equipment.

Pyramid, Targa, Legacy, American Pro, Lanzar Vibe, DHD, US Acoustics, Power Acoustik and finally settling on a pair of Zed Optidrives.

I learned that in a lot of cases a cheap amp will do everything a person needs it to do.

The $40 DHD amp I got of ebay has been a huge surprise. It's on ampguts

Silver Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Chicago, Illinois U.S.A

Post Number: 771
I've come to notice that tons of people are cheap.Everyone wants something for nothing or they want the best for the cheapest...oh well the majority of people are just cheap and don't want anyone to earn any money aside from themselves.

Gold Member
Username: Stnorris

Davenport, IA US

Post Number: 1732
do it right the first time.....

and dont be cheap...just save a little longer, and get the better amp....

Bronze Member
Username: Nolimiy

Post Number: 19
The way I look at it - people dog these brands for a reason, they probably have better things to do than make a amp company their b-i-t-c-h for no reason. You'll definetely be better off if you stick it out in the long run, save up some money, and buy a system that won't need a constant influx of cash because things keep falling apart.

Bronze Member
Username: Denim

Www.TeamSSAudio.com, MD

Post Number: 23
Some people go by a watt is a watt theory.

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 10338
^^Which is true...if both amps are ran with its limits...u can not tell the diffrence

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 9908
most of the times ppl just want the most bang $ buck or just want it plain loud .....

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5733
Watt is a watt can be as misleading as "all men are created equal" theory.
Before you respond back, really think about it first, then you'll know the answer.

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Post Number: 2469
While I know that Isaac is quite the amp buff :-), I subscribe to the philosophy that-with regard to sonic results-the amp should be just about the least considered link in your chain:

Install/placement, speakers, HU/tuning, charging system, amps and wiring/connects.

Build quality is personally significant to me because, like Isaac and others, I appreciate it.
But when it comes to audible differences in amplifiers of comparable power supplies, you'll be hard pressed to hear one in a vehicle.

http://bruce.coppola.name/audio/Amp_Sound.pdf
http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18815

Username: Sundownz

Mooresville, NC USA

Post Number: 4
I saw a thread a few days ago... a guy wanted 2400 x 1 @ 2 ohms for $300 or less. It costs that much to build an amplifier to do that power if you want something that is even worth hooking up in your car. E-Bay has made people incredibly cheap on amps... and they usually end up dissapointed when something goes wrong and they have no warranty, or if it doesn't do it's rated power.

- Jacob

Username: Ordinaryjoe

Canada

Post Number: 2
Juliob, which new Soundstream are you talking about? I am looking for one around 50 to 75 rms.

Your Quote: i like budget amps

thanks to lanzar, hifonics, PA, new soundstream.

lanzar optidrive line

Silver Member
Username: Motomattic3

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 164
I don't like to call it cheap its more budget for me But I do alot of looking around before I buy crap like I looked for 3 months before I found a good deal on a JL 12w6v2 and a JL E1400D I had to drive 4hours to get it them but I got them at the dealer for: 12w6v2($250) E1400D($230) NO TAX!!! the amp isn't that great of a deal considering you can buy it alot of places at that price. but the reason they were selling them so cheap is becuase JL was being a real @ss to them about there warrantys and such so they decided to end their line and sell there products below retail value. plus they even printed out an istall sheet(I didn't have it installed by them) so that I got a 1 year warranty on the sub and a 2 year warranty on the amp.

Username: Pratt

Post Number: 4
Poverty.

That being said, whats a nice sounding budget amp that does around 85X4 to about 100X4?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3507
Don, search on ebay soundstream, they have many lines and they all do the job for the money.

Gold Member

SubBassMidBass

Post Number: 9099
Isaac, enlighten me.:-)

I have read the thread on a watt is a watt. but i would like to hear your input on it, and i forget what everyone said in that thread. lol

Silver Member
Username: Johammbass

IRL

Post Number: 714
Hmm,
Watt is not simply watt because my speakers would not feel good if they were powered by, say, Sony:-)
Guys, stop being so selfish and think how you would want to be powered if you were a speaker:-)

Silver Member

IRL

Post Number: 715
Plus think about this - you have a nice font on your rear windshield and it says something like "Powered by Zapco":-)
vs
"Powered by Sony":-)
:-):-):-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 5734
Muddy, "watt is a watt" can be deceiving as I have mentioned before. Lot of newbies will only see all watts are the same, therefore 1000w from Sony/Pyramid is EQUAL to 1000w from Zapco/JL. What they don't see are the fine prints. 1000w from Sony/Pyramid is really 250w x 4. It is not a true 1000w amp at all. You can even call them and they will tell you that.
Another difference is, let's say to be fair, you bring down the Zapco/JL to 250w for comparison. Now Sony/Pyramid "should" perform (by ear) as well as Zapco/JL under the right condition.
As you recall, music is dynamic, therefore those "cheap" amps will appear like a great bargain. However, if the conditions changed in such that, they were forced to sustain for longer period of time, you will see the beginning of deterioration.
What appears to be equal on paper, is no longer the same.
Best way to illustrate that is by using the "duty cycle" on the air compressors. Product A with duty cycle of 10% costs $150, and product B with same spec and duty cycle of 65% costs $800. Depending on your usage, it can be a good deal or practically useless..

Silver Member

IRL

Post Number: 720
I love Zapco:-)

Silver Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 515
I love Tru Technologies.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Friday, Str8t to the Gentlemans club

Post Number: 2740
oh yeah i love 1k+ usd amps too

Gold Member

Post Number: 2475
again...when it comes to audible differences in amplifiers of comparable power supplies,
you'll be hard pressed to hear one in a vehicle.

i.e., a watt is a watt.
This is much different than saying all amps are created equal.

Importance=Install/placement, speakers, HU/tuning, charging system, amps and wiring/connects...respectively.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5753
Mikecher9, that's the key, "comparable." The problem is, people only see "watt is a watt" and assume all amps are created equal.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 7534
exactly, I hear what you both are saying. A watt is a watt when comparing say zapco and tru tech and sinfoni. Not when comparing Zapco to Hifonics and Audiobahn. The whole a watt is a watt theory was also not tested in a car it was tested under highly controlled situations where the amp was getting a constant 13.8 volts no voltage drop and a controlled volume. In a vehicle it is much different when you bring in voltage drop and imp rise, clipping, ect....

Gold Member

Post Number: 3602
the important thing about this thread consists on getting good amps.

Silver Member

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 518
A watt may be a watt, but.....options, durability, longevity, and quality of the components that are used are reflected in that higher amps price.

IMO high end used, in many cases, is better than low end new.

For example: My Sledgehammer and 4.100 cost me 400 and 375 respectively. I spent less on items that are near the top of the scale than most ppl have on items from the bottom. Thats not bad for a 4k amp that is one of 50 made, and a 4ch that will do about 175 a ch.....with the Burr Brown upgrade.

The net, by far, is the best place to get good power, for little investment. Knowing who to buy from is the trick. As a member of 8/9 car audio forums i read alot of FS threads and watch amps that are good deals alot. Many of the ppl i buy from, i more or less "know". eBay isnt bad for prices, but i could buy off the forums and sell for more on eBay if i had the time.

Save your money, have a plan, watch the forums.

Silver Member

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 519
If you pay much attention at realm you will see a large amount of amps that i have "collected" over the years. I never "overpaid" once, IMO.

http://www.splbassx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=145&st=0

A few are here. Other than the VLX 400 i nevr paid more than 400 on any amp. The gold plated US 400 was one of 4 made, and i never even used it. It was a spectacular looking piece. The US PT1100 tripaths would do 1000+watts, all day, ice cold, @ 8 ohms! AND would do it mono or full range. Imagine, 1000w for your highs, @ 8 ohms. They were just 275 a piece off eBay. Never saw them before that, and only a couple since. I kept one only for a extreme highs set. There were many others.....the point is, they were all cheap, all used, and i never once had one fail.

Take it FWIW.

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1212
I think Canton said that "You just cant hear an amp"

This is so true.

But, you can see the side effects of a bad amp. While you cannot tell the difference between a cheap amp running at say 40 % power compared to a high quality amp at 40 % power it doesnt justify that both amps are equaly as good. Amps do not clip or distort at 40% power. They do not give a bad sign that things are bad uless they are really bad. Resistence overloads is one of them. If wired within the amps limitations, you wouldnt be able to tell the difference between a technics and a krell blindfolded.

True, you dont hear an amp, and many people dont spend money unless they see a huge difference right off the bat. It has to be the diference between light and day for some noob to say, oh ok i see now...

As far as price shoppers are concerned;

They get what they deserve. People that buy cheap also sell cheap, and probably make low income. When you get a stingy rich person that buys only low budget struff but always sells at top dollar, he/she is only screwing themselves, lol.

My motto is to be legit. :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2476
..."that's the key, 'comparable.' The problem is, people only see "watt is a watt" and assume all amps are created equal..."

"...A watt may be a watt, but.....options, durability, longevity, and quality of the components that are used are reflected in that higher amps price..."

Precisely (agreed).
I personally prefer amps that do what they say they can do within their limits, but then still have quite a bit heart left even beyond what they say they can do (underrated amps).

Also, I like beefy amps that are well constructed. E.g., No overheating, and then if they do get hot, they continue to pound and deliver on through the heat without hints of failure.
But with regard to sound, the audible difference between any two amps truly capable of similar power will be nil. Regardless of the brand.

It's sort of similar to comparing a $250,000 Breguet Swiss Classique Grande Complication *drools* to a Kenneth Cole Just One Second. Both tell time well, but the former is much better made.

I can only afford a Kenneth and I can tell the time all the same :-)
But the Breguet will still be accurately ticking after twenty generations, while the KC will likely be done within a decade at best.

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 7542
very nice thread guys:-) very informative and great analogy's Mikechec:-)

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 2131
would make a good sticky.

oh wait this forum doesnt have stickys!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2477
Oh, James...*blushes*

Here's an older thread where a member compares a few amps from ampguts.com: http://forum.carstereos.org/internal-signs-solid-t58105.html?t=58105

Perhaps Isaac and others here who are well versed on the subject (better versed than I)
would care to "voir dire this witness as to the extent of his expertise."

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 7544
Wow that guy knows his stuff:-) very good reading. We have both been members over there for almost 2 years and both have about 50 post's:-) which forum do we browse more often? lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 2479
lol

Gold Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 1218
Mikechec9,

Its a good thing that you clarified that the Breguet Swiss Classique Grande Complication is a watch. I thought you were talking about suits at first, lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2480
Either way, Mix, it's like wearing a very nice house on your body. I can't imagine, lol.

MUDDD!! I just noticed this was your thread.
It makes sense. You have one of my favorite amps. Certainly THE most attractive, imo. Sup?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5756
Nice board. I didn't know I was a memeber there. Somehow the board is saying my email address is already registered.

Gold Member

FTW

Post Number: 9320
thanks guys for elaborating on this issue. :-)

all nooobx should have to read this thread.

sup mikechec:-)still enjoying that amp everyday. :-O
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us